Forums

1 2 
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
Mareike
Fri Nov 17 2006, 07:39pm Print
Registered Member #305 Joined: Mon Oct 30 2006, 06:35pm
Hello people, I wrote before that I am working on the informal development of the city, I found one interesting articel of eviction in Dhaka in 1975, where the goverment took all the people from the inner city and brought them to some quaters on Mirpur and Tongi, where they built up some low-cost housing. Do you have any knowledge about that? what happened after? How this happened? Do you know any similar things happened later on? what do you think personel to do with all the sqautters and slums? thanks.... Edited Fri Nov 17 2006, 10:22pm
mujtaba
Sun Nov 19 2006, 05:35pm
Registered Member #14 Joined: Tue Sep 20 2005, 08:54pm
: Honolulu, HI
Mr. Mareike
Slum eviction is a continuous process and takes place in many forms. A paper titled: "Slum Eviction and Housing Rights in Dhaka City, 1975-2001" by Md.Nazrul Islam published in the Japanese Journal of Human geography - Jimbun Chiri Vol. 55 No. 6 might be a possible reference for you.

A large number of slums were evicted in 1975, 1999 and 2001. Most of the evicted people become homeless just after eviction and then again they resettled at nearby areas by setting new houses or in rental houses in another slum. In the new places where they took shelters after eviction they had to pay more money as house rent. The distance of work place increased largely and the income after eviction decreased. The children and women are most severe victims of eviction. The women have to stay at open space after eviction where they feel unsecured. It is found that the impact of slum eviction is severely destructive. A city like Dhaka through this cruel act repeatedly becomes a sad part of urbanization.

I have to check out on the low-cost housing that you are referring too, but my best guess would be, low cost housing projects are hardly feasible for the kind of income that slum owners generate. So much so that neither government nor private sectors are very inclined to take up such work. However, you may want to look up government projects taken up in this regard a few years ago, where rehabilitation to the village were encouraged by setting up several economic incentive programs (such as lease of land on easy terms at the countryside in exchange for moving back to the village).

If this is what you are interested in, I may be able to provide you with some more information. I can also give you some info on the low-cost housing projects at Mirpur but I am kind of busy at the moment. I hope our other forum members might be able to help.

Keep up the good work
admin
Thu Nov 23 2006, 08:31am
Main Admin Registered Member #1 Joined: Sun Jul 31 2005, 06:24am
: virtual architecture ..!
You may take a look to this thread,
Apartment Complex design in Dhaka
This thread may help you... though not very contextual!

Edited Thu Nov 23 2006, 08:32am
mujtaba
Sun Nov 26 2006, 06:54am
Here is an useful link to slum eviction and rehabilitation in Dhaka: www.cohre.org/get_attachment.php?attachment_id=1576

Bhashantek is a notable slum rehabilitation project taken up in the past. It has high density living accomodations, point water supply and latrine facilities. However, unconfirmed reports hold that, many original rehabilitated slum dwellers have either sold their accomodations or have rented them out, and have preferred to relocate in more conventional slums (more cost effective). This definitely makes slum rehabilitation a tricky business.

What slum dwellers need most is a meal. Anything else is dispensable (including accomodation) as long as food could be bought with the money. Many slum dwellers are ready to sell their accomodation for a little money and go back to living on the streets. Water and sanitation are also very important as most diseases are caused by unhygiene. Many NGOs have attempted to provide water supply and sanitation (latrines) and conditions have apparently improved. Looking at slum rehabilitation from the "building" or physical infrastructure's perspective (like a physical planner) might not be the answer. The problem is more economic and social and closely attached to the possible source of income.
admin
Sun Nov 26 2006, 01:04pm
Main Admin Registered Member #1 Joined: Sun Jul 31 2005, 06:24am
: virtual architecture ..!
Sir,
The book you provided was great.
Archsociety would be greatful to keep this book in it's own server for members' download (if there's no hard feeling about copyright issues). What do you think?
mujtaba
Mon Nov 27 2006, 03:52am
I think it is a free publication and produced as part of a humanitarian effort. I tried to preserve a copy at the arcsociety website but the upload option failed because the file is too large. Maybe you could help us with it.
Bradly999
Fri Aug 27 2021, 06:55pm
Registered Member #16394 Joined: Wed Aug 11 2021, 05:46pm
: London
The writer only works with the topic and the doctype you define. After our writer finishes your paper, we are responsible for delivering it to you https://www.tickaroo.com/ticker/60ec2d1b2d6402cfe5047071. The writer never sends the work personally to you. This process ensures you stay anonymous.
geebranzy
Sat Jan 29 2022, 11:21am
Registered Member #17235 Joined: Sat Jan 29 2022, 10:34am
: Bethany delaware
eviction night

[https://marriagecounselinglexington.com
=http]marriage counseling lexington ky
[/link]
1 2 

Go to: