Forums

1 2 3 
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
etipuf
Tue Jan 09 2007, 09:43pm
Registered Member #430 Joined: Sat Jan 06 2007, 09:30pm
: istanbul
nirghum i didnt know what orkut is, i googled it but i guess its better for me not to sign up on that because than i end up spending too much time with that stuff, im already in a bunch of turkish communities
about the legal thing, what most of the urbanism faculty complains about is that architects dont get enoughtraining on law, its a little easier for us to consider those things since we start off keeping them in mind and not end up having a design that we cant apply
right now my biggest problem is that im trying to propose a healthier motorway circulation in an already populated town trying to use the current roads as much as possible and not taking away their land, well kills me
have you worked on an already populated place for urban design before, you seem to have been challanged before since you can discuss this well

neo you came up with a bunch of really good points, actually i asked the same question about land use plans on the isocarp congress that was held in istanbul this summer and i couldnt get any answers that actually satisfied me. my problem was that everyone is talking about the beauty of mixed land use which happens naturally in asia and europe but youll have to force it to happen in america, but i have never seen a plan that expresses that visually and maxes it applicable as a policy. i discussed it with my urban law and management prof and she said the turkish structure of law is pretty helpful in this manner since we are allowed to "make up" legends such as "first floor trade, upper floors residential with a few offices too and whatever" and explain policies in the report which is as important as the visual plan. still, istanbul is getting more segregated and planning seems to do more evil than good, so im still not satisfied. now the problem is that what used to be districts with social grups of various income levels and cultural backgrounds are getting "regenerated" into homogenous walled residential districts. during my internship at the municipality i have seen legends and reports on mixed use of function but i dont see how a planner can guide the architects to design buildings for different cultural groups in the same place. instead what most do is design 2 floor plans in a building and place the same building around. how are we going to stop that from happening hmm
oh and aparrently you have seen plenty of istanbul pictures, many of my classmates dont have that many adjectives for the city (well, just the ones who dont make any effort to see whats around). and you mentioned the ritz carlton, which is the basis of most of our fantasies involving vandalism hatred and eggs(to throw on the building)
im attaching a view of that from the bosphorus with my faculty on the background, id like to get opinions from architects who havent already read criticism on that huge fallic figure(clue?)

rubelraf
Tue Jan 09 2007, 10:46pm
rubelraf
Admin Registered Member #12 Joined: Sat Sep 17 2005, 01:22pm
: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Hello,
and welcome
etipuf,
to this
community...
and
thanks for sharing ....

etipuf
Tue Jan 09 2007, 10:54pm
thanks rubel raf and everyone
NEO
Wed Jan 10 2007, 04:02am
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
Ha ha ha
Hmm the ugly tall building in the picture must the Ritz Curlton.
Oh, my knowledge about the location of your campus actually came from seeing it in Google Earth.
etipuf
Wed Jan 10 2007, 08:40am
well than another point, the buildings around the faculty are those but the actual beauty of it is that we are very close to istiklal street- art culture entertainment center of istanbul. thats where all the bars cafes art galleries shops and interesting people are, so the engineers are in an off city campus while we can visit a gallery at lunch or go off to nevizade street of bars after school in 5 10 minutes.
nirghum
Sun Jan 14 2007, 08:47pm
Registered Member #26 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2005, 05:52pm
: bits N bites
wow etipuf,
thanks you for coming back and acknowledged us thanks, our well come touched you.
there are many those whom we have welcomed but didn't replied back.

we had an idea, to create some regional room, in this forum. say we can create a separate room for your faculty, or may be for your country. do you think along with you and your friend would love to be there?
etipuf
Mon Jan 15 2007, 03:30pm
nirghum im not sure if a seperate regional room would work at this point since there are several websites that are specificly for our use as turkish students, turkish architecture students, itu architecture students, specific classes of itu architecture students etc. and they are all in turkish instead. what i could do is i could tell people about this forum which i kinda have already and regional posts could either happen by themselves or not.
another thing that could be done would be to maybe start threads asking people for indigenous architecture from the regions they were born in, lived in etc for more regional talk. there are 3 major climate zones and several different topographical, floral, jeological areas in turkey so the architecture differs greatly even from city to city. im sure there are contributions you could get about the hometowns of people from india, bangladesh etc. too
nirghum
Mon Jan 15 2007, 07:39pm
Registered Member #26 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2005, 05:52pm
: bits N bites
yeh actually the matter of point is language.
every one of us do like to share things, in our own language.

well your feed back was very sincere. sure if you like us, and if you feel not a trouble, then please invite your friends to meet us here.
and all other suggestion u conveyed, i hope admin will soon notice. buy the way how your academic is going.
please share some of your design when you get time.
 1 2 3 

Go to: