1 2 3 4  last
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
nirghum
Fri Feb 02 2007, 12:00pm
Registered Member #26 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2005, 05:52pm
: bits N bites
first when i saw etipuf's pic, i thought it is a pic of 'borind'

'borind' is formally pronounced as borendro area of rajshahi division, this is a leading paddy growing zone. There people are all busy cultivating their lands. They know nothing about architecture.

I felt the passage way was one from that place. As they build two storied building with mud and bamboo. It happed that I lived in those houses. Its too cool living in those mud made two storied. They gives the feeling of a small castle.
etipuf
Fri Feb 02 2007, 04:36pm
Registered Member #430 Joined: Sat Jan 06 2007, 09:30pm
: istanbul
mud housing is very common in rural settlements in asia, probably because it is easy to obtain around the site and requires no technology. and as nirghum said they are very useful in hot climates because they keep the interiors cool.
the photo i sent uses wood and hay instead of bamboo and they grow apricots not rice. (bamboo is very expensive here really)
but people, come on send your photos too. this is not a turkey only thread:) post some borind photos Edited Fri Feb 02 2007, 04:36pm
NEO
Fri Feb 02 2007, 04:50pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
I had some 'borind' photos! I did a shuttle study during 3rd year 2nd semester for a competition project entitled 'Dwelling in the Delta'.
Unfortunately I couldn't find none of them in my computer. I'm planning for a long expedition in that part of Bangladesh during my next vacation for doing a real study on the vernacular architecture of that part. I also have some responsibility to do that as my hometown is near the 'Borind area' (বরেণ্দ্র অঞ্চল)

The photos I posted earlier is from the central part of Bangladesh in 'Gajipur'.
nirghum
Fri Feb 02 2007, 05:29pm
i think vernacular housing is the topic we talked lot.
and time time i tried to find out some answer about the house.

and the questions are like why they use different place and different height to make some self, rack or the arrangement of food storage kitchen.

one thing amazed me, though a family is independent to take decisions, but the arrangement of commodity within a house is almost same .
etipuf
Fri Feb 02 2007, 05:45pm
neo ill be waiting for your photos then
nirghum i think it is a cultural thing, they learn from their ancestors the most efficient ways of arranging a house and they dont even want to try otherwise even though they can. the way of thinking is not good at all-its conservative, but i works in architecture since this heritage is the result of lots of experimenting and knowledge.
like i was talking to this guy who formally knows nothing about architecture or engineering this summer- my dad has hazelnut fields on the black sea coast and this guy was from the village. we were discussing how a house should be in the harvesting place and he knew all about the orientation due to light and wind, he told me that the wind blows from a different direction in winter, that the climate was humid rainy and cool, that the living spaces should be elevated above the soil and the windows should be small and all that other stuff. how they had the traditional oven in a specific place and how they ventilated the kitchen etc.
etipuf
Fri Feb 02 2007, 06:24pm
more info on the place on my last post:
this is giresun/turkey, rural, settlement pattern illustrated in the photo below
climate is moderate, rainy and cool through all seasons
worlds biggest hazelnut production takes place here by the black sea coast
the mountains lye parallel to the sea and end on the seashore without a flat delta inbetween and therefore are effected by humid wind from the sea directly
ive added a photo of the oven i mentioned(not used anymore) and the harvesting place with a house
because of the humidity and the rain the soil is a breeding ground for insects, therefore living places are on the second floor and the first floor is a barn without windows. the house in the harvesting place has the staircase inside but in a more typical house, as in the other house i posted, the staircase is outside opening into a living space and a kitchen. the wc is placed very close to the entrance, sometimes even accesible from the outside so that workers can use it without entering all the way into the house.
these are not historical but are vernacular alright
1170440682 430 FT1792 Dscf5251 Evin Dou Manzaras

1170440682 430 FT1792 Harman

1170440682 430 FT1792 Kara

nirghum
Fri Feb 02 2007, 10:13pm
wonderful participation etipuf.

yeh they know so much, and they did certain thing so right. and we take 5 year of study to understand them. or just to express them with some term .

etipuf
Fri Feb 02 2007, 10:42pm
yes and in the end we cant communicate with them because we begin to speak this odd language that only architects speak
 1 2 3 4  last

Go to: