Forums

ArchSociety :: Forum :: Design Process :: Bubble of Ideas..

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Dormitory Design for university students: need help
1 2 3 
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
Himel
Fri Feb 16 2007, 03:28am Print
Registered Member #294 Joined: Mon Oct 16 2006, 05:10pm
: Dhaka
I need help on zoning. Like -
1.where the room should be placed? in south or where? where is good for study area?
2.and how cleverly male and female dormitory can be separated?
3. Give me new ideas.
1171596505 294 FT0 6
etipuf
Fri Feb 16 2007, 07:22am
Registered Member #430 Joined: Sat Jan 06 2007, 09:30pm
: istanbul
himel south is always best for living areas, of course, but to be fair in projects like dorms where almost all units have the same requirements it can be nice to place the building on a north south axis with longer sides facing east and west, these get the same total of sunlight during the day.
however your site seems to be limited, youll probably need to have one facade facing north and another facing south. remember that girls are often anemic, they get cold easily:) here they produced a blanket that heats one part and cools one part for couples because men usually sweat when they sleep and women need even more heat. girls may need more sunlight and heat but still try to be fair. you can make a open air or glass covered corridor space that allows light in the building from the roof.
you could place the study in the roof facing the view if you intend to build higher than the apartment to the north or you could use it as a way to seperate girls and boys: like you could assign one half of the building for boys and another to girls and have seperate entrances to those with the studies in the middle entered from each corridor with doors that can be locked. you could make seperate small units some of which are boys and some of which are girls. the way they use most often(i guess) is just assigning floors, first floor for boys and second for girls etc.
as for the noise you probably dont have to mind it that much because it is a market place and it will not be noisy at night. students will be in school during the day(hopefully:) so taking some precautions like trees as a buffer area or noise isolation in the wall sections should be enough. still keep the study away from that.
these are just ideas, there are no correct answers to this kind of assignment where you are limited. you just have to make choices towards what you think matters most.
Himel
Sun Feb 18 2007, 12:20pm
first phase. Day after tommorrow is 1st preliminary
1171801229 294 FT1927 Graphic2
nirghum
Sun Feb 18 2007, 12:40pm
Registered Member #26 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2005, 05:52pm
: bits N bites
cool looking mass. brilliant himel. cheers.
etipuf
Sun Feb 18 2007, 01:52pm
Registered Member #430 Joined: Sat Jan 06 2007, 09:30pm
: istanbul
cool presentation i like the wholesomeness and the way the entrance to the inner garden looks and you got to put the common places at height with a view
post room plans or at least programs, you have one male dining+kitchen and one female dining only in there
as for dining, i dont see why you felt like seperating boys and girls, as for kitchens, you dont seem to have any for girls! i almost worked on a dormitory like project then changed my mind, and before i did my instructor kept telling me every floor should have:
one store room for tools and space for janitors
one room for piling up laundry so that they could be taken down later
a small common space(a veranda in your case) in every floor and a major one on one floor
favorably a toilet+shower in each room, definitely one in each floor even if the rooms have it or not (people shouldnt have to go into their rooms to use a toilet from the common space)
a small cooking area! not a big dining room but an oven and a fridge would help a lot, the dining rooms have working hours and not on every floor. some dorms dont have little kitchens on every floor and its painful to live there, i see people going back to the dorm just not to miss dining hours. people should get to snack on warm food if they feel hungry by night or something.
naheen
Mon Feb 19 2007, 02:06pm
Registered Member #364 Joined: Sun Nov 26 2006, 02:41pm
himel...ur mass anD presentation is definitely good...
but the thing tht i feel like missing, tht is green... there is no space u cud fit in a green, neither in ground floor... nor i can see in the inner verandah's...
though the teraaces might b n option for tht... is tht the terraces only the space for plantation???
Ar.Taz
Mon Feb 19 2007, 02:19pm
Registered Member #265 Joined: Tue Oct 03 2006, 08:50am
I would give 5 stars on that presentation..:) .. though I'd like to c the location of that dorm ..hope u've surveyed that..
Himel
Mon Feb 19 2007, 03:13pm
why u are appreciating the presentation? this is not a presentation. I have made mass type 3d on sketchup and copy and paste in corel in 5 minuite. i have done it to give a simple idea about my concept to teacher. Tommorrow is my 1st preli. But i am sick.

In the ground level ( middle of two dormitory) teacher suggest me to have a wonderful garden that can help dinning to have a good view. And the shape of garden is the inverse of zigzag used on dormitory. That means the garden will go under earth but different level of zigzag. And i have to break the monotonus shape of rooms. I am trying to adding studios on veranda with collumns ( 3 rooms will share a studio).

I am worried for toomuch number of collumns. If any one have suggesstion about collumn plz help.

The dormitory is only for architecture students. 140 male and 100 female
1171898008 294 FT1927 6
1 2 3 

Go to: