1 2 
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
Saadi
Thu Mar 01 2007, 06:41pm Print
Registered Member #253 Joined: Sun Oct 01 2006, 09:25am
: Karachi
hii all..
Light, most important part for human being, wat is there other then light that make us to c this amazing world of happenings. I m doing my thesis on daylight and architecture as in my view, the great potential in daylight is getting dimmed by unwanted use of artificial lighting. daylight has more positive effects on hyman phsychology as compared to artificial light as it allows the full spectrum to fall if compared with artificial light as the most closest to the daylight too have more wavelength for blue.

Going through different building types including residential, offices, libraries, n religious buildings i have studied the relationship of daylight wid them.

types which had striked me of are of museum and a retail store or in other words, a super store. The two different observations for the types are the detoriation of artifects due to light and increase in sales in store by the introduction of natural light.

please help me in deciding one as my building type as m getting confused in finalizing.

thnx in advance n waiting for the reply
1172774505 253 FT0 P2283364
TARIQ
Thu Mar 01 2007, 07:01pm
Registered Member #484 Joined: Thu Feb 22 2007, 07:21pm
: Dhaka
i think it will be better "work with meuseam"........correct use of day light can make a meuseam exceptional.....i think lots of work u can do if u choose it
nirghum
Thu Mar 01 2007, 10:58pm
Registered Member #26 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2005, 05:52pm
: bits N bites
i would stand beside tariq. if the choice is between a museum or super store i would surely pick up museum.

and i think light make some one aware and awaken. so when you want some one to be alert, you got to supply extra light.

and when you want some one to stand at a place for much longer time and let him be thoughtful then put the light little low there.

Saadi
Fri Mar 02 2007, 04:44am
thnx tariq n nirghum
the only problem is to defend natural light and museum at the same time coz more simple solution rather not conservative is to block all light and use artificial light instead
Himel
Fri Mar 02 2007, 04:45am
Registered Member #294 Joined: Mon Oct 16 2006, 05:10pm
in museum art, sculptures are always same. u visit there to see same things. And we cant see them without proper ilghting. i think only with day light all of artworks can not be properly seen.

In super store we go to buy things. And we are much cautious about things cause we are paying for it. We can have the idea of original color, fressness of the food in day light. Cause sometimes they have too much artificial lights that give a artificial view of products. So i think choosing super store will be the honest concept. And i think in natural daylight people will feel comfort to buy things and it will help the businessman. Edited Fri Mar 02 2007, 04:46am
Saadi
Fri Mar 02 2007, 05:50am
thts wat m thinking... allowing appropriate use of daylight in museum will surely lead to tooo many technical drawings leading to no architecture...

keeping in mind, huge stores having same climatic context in USA as karachi, they really had increased there sale and eventually public confidence...
Saadi
Fri Mar 02 2007, 01:26pm
n now wat abt designing like ANYTHING and then apply this concept of light in that .. a true reversal???
NEO
Sat Mar 03 2007, 09:01pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
'Light in Architecture' oh very much talked about topic. Thanks Saad for throwing it in forum

At the very beginning of hearing about this topic one name comes into mind that is Luis I. Kahn. He is the special one among architects who played with natural light in his every project with a spiritual height. You'll get some drawings of details by Kahn on natural light in books in library.

Our respected teacher Architect Professor Shamsul Wares often says an interesting sentence: "a space with no natural light is not a part of architecture at all" that's the importance of natural light in architecture.

It's always a debate whether architects design the 'spaces' or the 'walls and slabs' which define the 'spaces'.... but it is proved that the 'walls and slabs' are like "permeable membranes". They don't segregate one space from another rather they should establish a new relationship between spaces and indoor with outdoor and act like a membrane which must give the chance to let the light and air get in and out.

So what we design? we design 'permeable membranes' acts like a transitional element. That means we design things to permit the light to get in. Light is a design element in architecture.
1 2 

Go to: