Forums

1 2 3 4 
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
Frozenshade
Mon Nov 13 2006, 09:35am Print
Registered Member #339 Joined: Sat Nov 11 2006, 09:37am
: Amman
hello there !!... this is a countryside house design that i've been working on for the last month... but i'm now facing problems in deciding on materials... the main theme is concrete... but the rest i can't decide on !! any enhancements you think i can do ... the land is huge while the house is 200 meter squared the northern view is alot of trees and the southern is a valley...
excuse my sketchy work in here but i had to do it fast...
please asap
1163410466 339 FT0 Bleeh
NEO
Mon Nov 13 2006, 01:15pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
Frozenshade, thanks for sharing it...
Would you please give a brief idea of the climatic conditions of your site....
As I have a very less idea about the climate of Jordan. If you would say about the desired interior temperature, general wind flow directions, sun path, humidity, rain-fall etc. then it would be easier to comment on your project and about the preferred materials.
Regards.
NEO.
Frozenshade
Mon Nov 13 2006, 01:21pm
Registered Member #339 Joined: Sat Nov 11 2006, 09:37am
: Amman
it's more into a summer house !! the general wind flow is towards the south west... the sun is southern there... humidity is not very possible because the sea is far but humidty may happen due to trees' evaporatio, and rain is in winter and most probably southern...
that's all i can tell for now for i'm a bit in a hurry...
NEO
Tue Nov 14 2006, 03:00pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
Concrete is a smart choice.
You may also try a collage of brick cladding on selected façade areas over concrete. Such as, try placing some brick claddings at the entry façade at ground floor. The solid façade right side the large window against the toilet may also be under brick cladding. It may give an inviting feeling.
You may also try placing some bricks near the curved window. It will enhance the 3d effect of the curved surfaces. Try to make a paper model first. Use colored and hatched paper to feel the effect of bricks on the surfaces. You also do these tests in 3dmax or sketch-up softwere.
These comments are just regarding the answer to the question about material.

Lets talk about the design…
I couldn’t understand your intention behind the placement of the building in the site. You simply placed it at the center. Try designing a spectacular enchanting experience for any visitor who’ll approach the building from the valley side. Try to relate the landscape of the site to the building.
In this type of site the building should more likely be evolved from the landscape… the landscape shouldn’t come after the building. Try to keep a look on it. And of course through the landscape try to ‘design the approach experience’.

The organization of the spaces is good. Nice circulation.
But placing windows at the edge of the wall is often not a good decision. This placement can’t do anything against the sun and rain.
Windows or the entire façade of the rooms may be inside some niches in your climate. Then the entire inner facades may be cladded or made of different materials like brick, wood or glasses entirely. See this sketch, (one of our archsociety members Crystal Tuberos did this sketch. I’m publishing it here after her permission)
sketch by crystal tuberos from Vietnam
Edited Tue Nov 14 2006, 03:30pm
mujtaba
Tue Nov 14 2006, 05:22pm
Registered Member #14 Joined: Tue Sep 20 2005, 08:54pm
: Honolulu, HI
Frozenshade, your design looks interesting. You have to excuse my little knowledge about the microclimate of your site in Amman, but I generalize that it is in a desert climate with the hottest months in July and August. Hot-dry places, especially for summer, need thick walls with a time-lag greater than 8-hours, small openings on the walls and heavy protection on the east and west. Earth berming is a very good option for keeping the building cool. I have seen buildings bermed with earth walls with greens planted on roof and the sloping side.

Double walls and roofs are good insulators (made from concrete) which are often substituted for sundried clay bricks if you are into sustainable practices. Courtyards and water channels are attractive traditional options. Compact, protected from the sun, would be the kind of form I would think suitable for the summer house in a desert climate, but again, I have limited knowlege about your site. Cheers
atul
Tue Nov 14 2006, 10:12pm
Registered Member #73 Joined: Wed Jul 12 2006, 10:32am
Courtyards
Double walls..thick walls
small openings. and greens on walls wd cool the surfaces.
+ site planning how abt the landscaping then? you enter the site and see or orient yourself with what. sketch a bit. and form was seen a bit whimsical..i wish i cud get the concept behind that

thanks and will b appriciated if can hav more from u, dude.
Cheers

atul
Tue Nov 14 2006, 10:21pm
Registered Member #73 Joined: Wed Jul 12 2006, 10:32am
think abt it. +
its in hot humid. ahmedabad.india. by le corbusier.
food for thought.

think abt heat reduction. atleast think corbu.
1163542898 73 FT987 Le Corbu
rubelraf
Tue Nov 14 2006, 10:31pm
rubelraf
Admin Registered Member #12 Joined: Sat Sep 17 2005, 01:22pm
: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Frozenshade

I think a design should be done with using local/traditional materials.

which is best for the area.
you have to give credit to the predecessors.
whatever they have used for building, must have some benefits.

as in desert climate, I think they might have used stone or mud/earth for the walls. you can say it better what are the local material of your area.

and keep up your work.
1 2 3 4 

Go to: