Forums

ArchSociety :: Forum :: Design Process :: Design Development

« Previous topic | Next topic »
help me out on my 1st structural project....
1 2 3 
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
ami tiptip bristi
Tue Mar 31 2009, 06:07pm Print
Registered Member #860 Joined: Thu Jan 17 2008, 07:37am
: bangladesh
i ve to design a public divisional library..  and my structural system is post lintel...(column-beam) ...    can anyone give me a concept or idea about library..and about the limitations..of structural systems..  or do u anyone have any link or pdf..or any resourse relating that..plz share.. it ll be a great help..

rubelraf
Tue Mar 31 2009, 06:30pm
rubelraf
Admin Registered Member #12 Joined: Sat Sep 17 2005, 01:22pm
: Dhaka, Bangladesh
as far as I know in this structural system, main issue is about rigidity. it is both the benefit and the problem.
and about Library, the books weights more than that they look; so the live and dead load generated from the books is huge.

and
try searching on www.wikipedia.org for some technical terms.

good luck to you with the project.

NEO
Sat Apr 04 2009, 03:40pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
You may check out Muzharul Islam's Bangladesh National Archives and Library building. And the 'NIPA Building' These should be the best examples of this kind.
If you need high resolution drawings I will try to send you some from Muzharul islam Archive (if available and if you are interested).

Also search... there's a school by Geofre Bawa... which is an absolute good example of exposed post lintel structure (I'll try to post it if I find in my collection).

The limitations of post lintel is the depth of beam! Theoretically you almost can go for any span with post lintel...! But as you increase your span the depth of beams will increase. And if you want to know about the details of it you should consult with a civil engineer.
Yeah as Rubel was saying library requires extra caution of dead load. Books are terribly heavy when they are stacked in the shelves. Generally shelves are placed near along the beams and not in the middle of rooms to take advantage of the structure.
I will try to come back to you soon with more examples and images. Now gotta go...
ami tiptip bristi
Sat Apr 04 2009, 07:06pm
thnx to rubel and... yesss Neo ... obviously i m interested... plz share.. plz plz plz.... and i ll follow the advices u ve given...

waiting... !
NEO
Thu Apr 09 2009, 04:24pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
Sorry dear for a late reply. I'm kinda pathetically busy these days.
By the way, the National Archive building by Muzharul Islam is somewhat a composite structure its not post-lintel as a whole. I'm now going trough a pathetic net connection thats why I even couldn't upload any drawings right now.

By the way you may take a look at Exeter Library by Louis Kahn. Even in this case I'm not pretty sure whether it is a post-lintel example or not! (google it)
ami tiptip bristi
Fri Apr 10 2009, 01:11pm
oki..
CharlesNoise
Sat Feb 16 2019, 02:49am
Registered Member #11163 Joined: Mon Oct 22 2018, 03:36am
: Czech Republic
propecia
Kennethsig
Wed Feb 20 2019, 11:59pm