Forums

ArchSociety :: Forum :: Design Process :: Design Development

« Previous topic | Next topic »
how to make a tea house more interesting?
1 2 3 4  last
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
Ar.Taz
Fri Oct 06 2006, 11:23am Print
Registered Member #265 Joined: Tue Oct 03 2006, 08:50am
: Dhaka
I am doing a very simple design .. a tea house... I want your advice to make it more interesting... think itz not that clear in my words... i'll post the plan later on.. but for now can you guys tell me what theme would do for a tea house? For the chinese itz a great culture and they do have some interesting ways of presenting or just serve the tea.. for us what should it be?? I want to make it in our way... so that people here would understand our culture... need help guyz!!
atul
Fri Oct 06 2006, 05:17pm
Registered Member #73 Joined: Wed Jul 12 2006, 10:32am
lets guess. tea house!
for advicing u for make it more sound on thematically frst i have to know what things it shd contain. a tea house. it shd have fresh air, exact frames to get the exact views, easy sitting arrangements, and moreover unforgettable entrance , which may not be its exit!

infact i dont knw. sorry.
NEO
Fri Oct 06 2006, 06:58pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
Firstly I thought that tea house means the bungalow of tea garden owners!
However, the environments of tea houses are entirely different among various cultures. In China and Japan tea houses are something like the cafes in Europe (according to wikipedia.com).
But if you think about tea houses in Bangla flavor then it’s a bit difficult to figure out. Former British government tried to make the people of the Indian subcontinent habituated with drinking tea, sometimes they even tried it forcefully. Often they supplied tea for free to the middle class mass people of Bengal.
And somehow the became a part of our daily life. Tea became the most favorite drink from slums to the palaces.

But formal shops or cafes for tea never formed in a way like China or Japan. Our tea houses are the street cafes who are selling tea (with too much sugar and milk in comparison to Chinese and Japanese tea) ,cigarettes and PAAN. Often they are open to sky, just providing some benches or stools for sitting, nothing else. Drinking tea is so ‘casual’ here that it doesn’t require any special arrangement or formality in Bengal. It’s like walking along a street.. seeing a tea stall and shouting… “maamu kora koira ekta chaa lagao dekhi…”

So if you want to give a deshi flavor in making a tea house… then you have to look towards the ultimate informality in arrangement and hierarchy of circulation. Your tea house will be very inviting… with informal entry, informal seating and service arrangements. Variety of seating may be helpful to achieve the informal environment. Suppose few of the stools may be under open sky.. under a tree.. few may in a verandah.. oh providing a verandah is also important to give Bangla flavor in your tea house.
Let me check if I get few more ideas…
Ar.Taz
Sat Oct 07 2006, 03:04am
Thanks a lot neo bhai!! I got the point and will proceed through this... I have also thought that way.. i was thinking of enriching the out side space more than the inside and bring a environmet more comfortable for tea drinkers... but i also want it to be more interesting.. like offer the guests a place where they could watch games n also play some.. also d idea for making it more informal is gr8...
nirghum
Sat Oct 07 2006, 06:47am
Registered Member #26 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2005, 05:52pm
: bits N bites
i would always love a tea house, where i there is no pre-fixed sitting arrangement. i want it my way. some times four friends round, siting with a table some time without table in the center of circle. some time may be two of us, sitng side by side realx watching others too. some time me or may be my special one sure girl find a cool corner, to sit. as most of the time she shouts on me and i need to say sorry in differnet way. so try to creat some corner, which is not fully publick. well i dont say craete some separate private room though, within the tea house. just put some visibility obstackles by some tree or decorative items. oh i would love to listen music of my choice, on request. and yes teh lighting should be customizable , some times i want it bright, while im looking on my designs over a tea cup. and when just to relax out i would preffer less light. and when with my girl shouting on me and im beging pardon then better no light.:) oh am i demanding more? ha ha ha
Ar.Taz
Sat Oct 07 2006, 11:13am
lol.. nirghum bhai!! whatz ur real name anyways?? thanks for telling me what u want in a tea house.. In the design i'd keep corners for everyone.. it'll depend on them how they'd lik to use it... in the tea house i m trying to keep quite a big space for natural feelings .. their would be a free rather in or outside the structure but considered as a open garden for all those who want to have a peaceful n quite environment... still need to work on it..:).. I
ll post the plan when i really get it ready... thanks for the suggestions and also u can share more feelings for it... how'd u want it your way?
NEO
Sat Oct 07 2006, 01:21pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
Tazrin... click on anyones name to see his/her profile. There you may get their real names and other information.
Willing to see your plans and other developments...soon.
Oh you can attach not only images but also any CAD or MAX files with your posts.
atul
Sat Oct 07 2006, 04:09pm
Registered Member #73 Joined: Wed Jul 12 2006, 10:32am
you shd have a soothing frame of view. may b several. but in your context it can be precised from the essence of site.
tea house can be a sense of good smell. seasonally varied with the material as in zumthor's bath house. the swiss woods made it in there, can u do it in yours? the material can evoke sensual feel, sense of being in a mystic and tranquil space. whenevr it may rain inside, mayb it can have some provision of having a 'brishti-veranda' inside the core!! intimate and close but extrovert as well.

how abt that??:)
1 2 3 4  last

Go to: