Forums

ArchSociety :: Forum :: Design Process :: Design Development

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Post your comments to improve this project ( Picture inside)
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
Himel
Fri Nov 10 2006, 03:37am
Registered Member #294 Joined: Mon Oct 16 2006, 05:10pm
: Dhaka
ok. There are lots of problem with me. At first i am the second batch. there is only one batch senior to me. I watched their jury regularly . They r not so good in drawing and also not so good in design. I have lots of questions about drawings, model making etc. But i can't find anyone to ask as my seniors are only one semister (3 months) senior. I heard that if u do kamla to seniors u will learn lots of things. But how can i do kamla? our semister is only 3 months and just accurately 90 days. If any class missed by any reason like hartal, aborodh we do makeup class. And for 3 month we have very tight routine. Some of our students who r not so bad in design r very nervous and puzzled at this system. We dont find any time to read other books. We have lots of extra subjects like GED- anthropology, sociology, Bengal History etc. We have to complete them in 5 years. And every class costs of 500 taka.

My thinking on this project is :

1. On the last pic i uploaded the north is upward as usual. and the lake goes from south to south east.

2. The master bed is the bottom left larg box and 2daughter,1 son, 1 guest rooms are botoom right rooms.

*** So master bed is getting lake view and also 4 rooms for childrens and guest are getting lake view.

*** 3 childrens are under 12 age.In bangladesh generally childrens under 12 ages are not get their individual rooms. So i gave them individual rooms to have them a taste of living in a single room and i think they will feel advantarous to live in a room alone in sundarban.

*** The center large room is living room surrounded with glass for transperency and security. I gave it at center cause everyone has the right to go to it and it is like Government property.

*** The upper left large box is kitchen and dinning.
*** the upper right two box's are common toilet ( close to living) and care taker's room. I put this toilet here so 4 childrens, living room and caretaker can share this toilet.
**** I have given the larg stair to seat on them and enjoy the lake view as i have no particular viewing tower.

Problems:

1. the childrens room are getting two small only 7.5' by 7.5'
2. dining and kitchen become very large 20'/20' (combined)
3. childrens room and common toilet becomees same size.

The collumn:

The corners are 5 feet square piller. each pillar got 4 collums in 4 corners of 1 square feet each. So u can go through the collum in 3 feet like a door. It has been solved for extended cantiliver problem and circulation from one room to another. I said before, i found difficulty in composing this home with its function and aesthetics.
Himel
Fri Nov 10 2006, 03:43am
If i give larg window in bathroom and use curtain is it ok? or i have to give high window? Is there any particular dimention for high window? how can i define high window in plan? dotted line?

We have to submitt drawing and models in Sunday and jurry will be held. I am going to cad drawing and trace them because of short time(2 days). Dont u think its a very short time for presentation of 6 week project? how much time do u get for presentation after the design have final? And for this short time i have to make model with getis board in stead of ply-wood.

Is there any particular framing shop who can give me base quickly? Edited Fri Nov 10 2006, 04:17am
Himel
Fri Nov 10 2006, 03:46am

atul
Fri Nov 10 2006, 04:14pm
Registered Member #73 Joined: Wed Jul 12 2006, 10:32am
your design doesnt need any further improvisation now as the date is clear. its okay, everyone has to find and get his time from his/her scheduled time from say your six week. this never happens 'design ends'...you should cope the thing that you have to reserve time for your presentation and keep doing that 'eki-taale' as well while designing. otherwise you cant do it mate.

anyway. the where you live i dont knw. but if you are around gulshan then you can try mohakhali bazar easily to get a decent base. and materials as well. and for a 6 week project it should have thousands of sketches. i wd prefer those...

conventions of high window shdnt be applied in sundarbans. man, i told you, its wild.. go for full window that let you see evn while easing! high window over eye level 5.6'~6' shd hav dotted lines. its basic..

best of luck. next time you want to do kamla you knck me. its not hard to get time. but it shd be efficiant.
Himel
Fri Nov 10 2006, 05:38pm
can i use doted line if the area is hatched? How can i go " ek e taale" if my design change?
atul
Fri Nov 10 2006, 06:43pm
Registered Member #73 Joined: Wed Jul 12 2006, 10:32am
you will change it along, man! amrao korsi taai. schematically korte thakba. its not that simple, i admit. but final presentaion needs just one night fight, i hope then. when you percieve these sketches are important and this drawings are effective to express the design it will be wise to store them in mind, that is also 'eki tale' thaka!!

hatch thakle, i dont knw, what kind of hatch youre doing, if its filled hatch then you can jst blade a dotted line. otherthn that itshd b dotted in angular ones as well.
use your illusions! no need to worry.
NEO
Fri Nov 10 2006, 11:43pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
As it is your final jury on Sunday, the advices I wrote bellow is not for trying up by this time. If you try to follow them, your entire design may be changed! So those things are just simple advices to remember for your next projects.
Wish your best of luck for your jury. And of course please write about you people’s jury sessions. Though I think as our political situation is under thread… your jury may be delayed for the hazards.

However, this is what I was to say about your design:

Ultimately your design has come to an interesting end. But some very important grammars of composition seemed to be overlooked firstly.
Think your plan as a 2d composition. What do we see? Few squares are being connected through their corners. As the design theories say these are week connections you have made. Corners of squares and rectangles shouldn’t be connected like this. This type of connections (or common term is ‘joinery’) creates not only visual and compositional problems but also generates functional problems as well.
The basic form connection theories written in the books like ‘Architecture - Form Space and Order’ are absolutely not fake. Those theories are always helpful to create good looking composition as well as proper functionality of the project. When you are connecting two pure forms you have to overlap them at a good proportion one upon another with serface articulation or you have to take a smaller form as a ‘third element’ to connect them. Here my drawings are not very good though, I think you'll understand:
Basic Compositon

You see in your plan, your corner connections are creating some odd corridors through out your project. Remember for life time: “corridor is a thing which we should always avoid” always. This dialogue is quoted from Prof. Shamsul Wares. He would through you away if you would face him with corridors everywhere like this project.
Please don’t be upset. I’m giving you some advices for your lifetime. Always remember these things.

How to avoid corridors? Make a central common space, may be the dining or living room (for residence) or a lobby, atrium etc. All your other major functions will be distributed from the common space. For some certain projects you may need more than one common spaces like that hierarchically to connect through complex functions.
And to achieve this you must have to follow those instructions of connecting forms. Otherwise you won’t get the common space connecting all other functions without creating any corridor.

And for your arrangement of functions your every individual rooms are facing towards all the orientations. But what we generally try to do in such project in tropical climate… we try to keep the living and bed rooms facing towards the north or south for proper wind flow. And all other services (like kitchen, toilets, stairs etc.) will remain at the west. So that the heat of the west may be reduced by those service functions. But in your project as you have scattered everything individually and have connected through corridors the served and the service spaces both getting the wind of south, light of north and heat of west. This can never be an ideal situation. You must have to follow the climatic orders of orientation of a building.

Wish your best of luck.
Edited Sat Nov 11 2006, 12:11am
Himel
Sat Nov 11 2006, 04:37am
bath house composition is like this.......

Go to: