Forums

Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
Unknown
Fri Aug 11 2006, 08:09am Print
How many dead spaces exist around us and what can we do to make them alive again. There impacts on us ??
I met somebody who said that spaces dont live... i asked y cant they?? coz i think Spaces can breath, can live....
For my project i am working on a dead space, that exist in my neighborhood. It was an open space for neighborhood people but then later yrs it didnt attracted much of the people there and so it is now acting as a dead space, where no function happens.
I am calling it DEAD b'coz no social activities takes place there and only human interaction and usage makes a place LIVING, ALIVE.

What do u people think ???
NEO
Fri Aug 11 2006, 01:25pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
Of course spaces can be dead or live. Space breaths, it laughs, smiles, crys.
When social activities or interaction takes place in a space only then it becomes a 'place'. 'Place' means where 'events' happen.

When we are on a way to make a space live, then we have to notice some points, as the 'scale' of the space, neighborhood interests, special demands of economical sustainability, architectural elements to generate 'social activities'.
All these points are interrelated.
And during the physical designing the last two points are more important thing to notice.
Suppose this was just a green field, with no activies... it was 'dead'. A simple element and some landscappings made it live:
Unknown
Fri Aug 11 2006, 03:57pm
Thanks NEO for taking it further, i completly agree with you....
my concept is similar to this....
And yes no activities makes a dead corner. Sometimes open green fields have passive activities happening but its useless unless it is balanced by some active activities too.
mujtaba
Fri Aug 11 2006, 08:28pm
Registered Member #14 Joined: Tue Sep 20 2005, 08:54pm
: Honolulu, HI
Dead spaces aren't dead unless you look at them that way. No space is dead or alive but we culturally tend to impose those values, because our cultured sense of "architecture" tells us that every space should have an "aesthetically" fullfilling, functional quality to them, therefore, any space that does not satisfy that, we tend to call them "dead" (with a negative undertone of course). Why not look at them as "buffer" space, "air" space, "light" space? Its those spaces that make the "live" spaces more meaningful. Besides, some economic body would soon hunt it down and turn it into a "building" so I wouldn't worry too much about "dead" spaces.
lizu
Wed Aug 16 2006, 03:50am
Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Jun 22 2006, 08:37am
: Singapore
I agreed fully with Mujtaba. Can not help myself but quoting these few lines from LAO-TSE, the chinese philosopher.
' We put thirty spokes together and call it a whell; but it is on the space where there is nothing that the utility of wheel depends. We turn clay to make vessels; but it is on the space where there is nothing that the utility of the vessel depends. We pierce dorrs and windows to make a house; and it is these spaces where there is nothing that the utility of the house depends. Therefroe , just as we take advantage of what is , we should recognize the utility of what is not'
my addition,
Is there any music , without a pause?
NEO
Wed Aug 16 2006, 07:44pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka

a lot of stuffs for having a storm in the brain again. Thanks to Lizu sir.
geebranzy
Mon Jan 31 2022, 08:51am
Registered Member #17235 Joined: Sat Jan 29 2022, 10:34am
: Bethany delaware
Well said
cryotherapy baton rouge cost

idasanka
Thu Sep 01 2022, 10:28am
Registered Member #17236 Joined: Sat Jan 29 2022, 02:15pm
: davao
Great articles and great layout. Your blog post deserves all of the positive feedback it’s been getting. https://moldremovaldetroit.com

Go to: