Forums

ArchSociety :: Forum :: Design Process :: Bubble of Ideas..

« Previous topic | Next topic »
museum for the visually impaired
1 2 
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
Architect Rafay
Sun Mar 18 2007, 12:30pm Print
Registered Member #255 Joined: Sun Oct 01 2006, 05:58pm
: Karachi
          I am a final year student of Architecture at the Department of Architecture and Planning NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi, Pakistan. I am doing my thesis on a museum for the visually impaired people.
       My prime objective in designing an art museum for the blind was to increase the efficiecny of a blind person like that of a normal person. A blind person is mostly looked down upon in our part of the society and he or she feels deprived of the services being provided to them. So i wanted to desgin a museum that would help a blind perosn feel what art is and at the same time it would also be accessible to a person wiht normal eyesight.      I did my research into the use of Biomimicry in architecture and the use of nanotechnology to help me facilitate in my design. Through these i would and want to design a space that is so responsive that it helps a blind perosn navigate through a space without him using a cane or a guard dog. And in case of a catastropy like a fire the space would itself dissovle so that the objects in that space would provide no hinderence when that blind person is trying to espace and that also that the space would guide that person to safety.This is some of the research i looked into.      
nirghum
Mon Mar 19 2007, 04:54pm
Registered Member #26 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2005, 05:52pm
: bits N bites
Frankly speaking, your total approach gone over my head. And that makes me more interested to see what you finally make up. Have you proceed with any thing like design or section design or anything? Im interested to know and see your development.

etipuf
Mon Mar 19 2007, 06:24pm
Registered Member #430 Joined: Sat Jan 06 2007, 09:30pm
: istanbul
im curios too, how does the building dissolve? is that what you researched nanotechnology for?
looks like you took this to another level
also i'd like to know about what you intend to exhibit and how you want the viewer to interact with the museum
like there is this park of senses in germany which aims to fulfill the aesthetic need of all your senses and not just your vision. includes elements of odor, sound etc.
and some senses could stimulate synesthesia leading to a feeling of color and other vision related perceptions. your design could feel white when you touch it or sound round. i dont know. you could make a visually impaired person experience similar feelings to what people feel when they see space.
err maybe im way off topic.
look into wassily kandinsky's art, i heard he could be synesthetic:)
silent dark
Mon Mar 19 2007, 06:52pm
Registered Member #78 Joined: Tue Jul 18 2006, 05:42am
: Dhaka
big brother I have no idea about this kind of museum...
But my feeling is it will gonna so hard...plz show your primary idea of this project....

ALL THE BEST
NEO
Mon Mar 19 2007, 08:43pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
Rafay,
Forget about the small functional things. Let you answer first about the points what Etipuf wrote.
I mean what and how will be the exhibits of the museum? How can we give the same experience to a blind person that I feel during watching an abstract painting?
It may be some kind of virtual reality technology... a helmet.. some nozzles to here n there of the body and a computer generated program like 'The Matrix' which will give the impression of the painting directly to the brain of the blind person!
I don't know how is it possible!

Another thing may be tried ... that is 'feeling art by touch'. The exhibits may only be sculptures. Made just to be touched! Visitors will come... the guided approach towards those sculptures will lead them to start touching them... and those touches will lead them to imagine something. Yeah smells and sounds may also help in this regard.
Installation arts only by touches, smells and sounds...

Uff there must have been a museum like this! If it would be possible every visually impaired visitor could say something after 'experiencing' each artifact installations in the museum.... it would be great!

Hey Rafay... proceed... and let us know about your progress.
etipuf
Mon Mar 19 2007, 10:34pm
Registered Member #430 Joined: Sat Jan 06 2007, 09:30pm
: istanbul
i dont think a virtual reality high tech helmet thingy would be necessary, im talking about stimulating different senses to create similar emotions with design, as if the viewer was synesthetic. most impaired people have stronger perception of other senses and a more complex understanding anyway.
i mean not just the work that is to be exhibited but the architecture itself.
what kind of a museum do you want to create? one that simplifies itself to make the viewer focus on the art? make your surfaces smooth and your spaces intuitive. include less detail. use materials that make slight sounds when you touch them.
want to create a feeling of vastness and granditure without using sight? make spaces that echo. define larger spaces that can be felt by touch or sound. maybe you could use traces of smell to help navigate spaces. use complex carvings on walls and materias with textures that imply richness. anyone feels glorious when he touches silk or velvet or such.
these are just initial ideas, you could create disturbing spaces, soothing spaces, sophisticated spaces without using the visual tools of architecture. think a lot about material texture and heat.
Architect Rafay
Tue Mar 20 2007, 06:17am
Registered Member #255 Joined: Sun Oct 01 2006, 05:58pm
: Karachi
i agree with NEO and im doign all these things.. well my art museum would have tactile paintings .. ones that r in a 3d form.... use of bright colors use of odour.. use of brail use of textured flooring... all these things r thsoe that i would be incorporating in my design..
one thing that i want to ask u pp is that since my art museum is for the totally blind ppl .. but people wiht partial sight and noraml sighted ppl are also invited... so would it be alrite if i make the interior very simple since curves r not a facilitator for the blind but the elevation could be more of biomorphic since my research area was bionic in architecture... ... wat say...
Unknown
Sun Mar 25 2007, 12:56pm
u have a good thought! cuming to the point....wether u design it as any project work or its a live thing.........tat does matter much! as an architect i would like to suggest u some.... 1stly dont consider it as only museum....lets make it as sum centre! were u consider all factors, culture, economy, social..... here wat u do ...u not only display their works....or any sort of pleasure place 4 them.... but , it should work like n institute, a cultural centre....most probably it should be a public realm.... wer not only the victim(blind peoples) get exposure 4 their art work....but at the same time the get exposed to the society....thru which the awareness program starts....these should be u r core issues wen u begin wit.........still lot more factors ve to b discussed on point of view of design...........! that il discuss wit u....aft ur reply..........wat ur thinking! Edited Sun Mar 25 2007, 12:59pm
1 2 

Go to: