« Previous topic | Next topic »
landscaping mass housing projects and neighborhood parks
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
nirghum
Mon Apr 16 2007, 11:08pm
Registered Member #26 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2005, 05:52pm
: bits N bites
well the place currently im living in can be considered as a mass housing project.
i found one strange thing here that is even painful.
within the limit of this housing there is park, surrounding the lake. small playground for the kid. that serves very well, as a joggers zone, for the house or flat owners their kids and families.
but there are not a single corner for the service people to sit for a tea.here by the word service people i mean to say, drivers, security guards, watch man, household helper of each family. actually every single 6 storied building requires a minimum of 10 to 12 service people. its mostly more than that. so within the area there are many such people, some of them are residence too. like security guards and household helpers and few drivers too. but they dont get a single corner to sit and gossip among themselves. while youa re designing common place please keep a corner where these people can have a little space.
they are mostly ignored, but they do exist and they do have purpose to exist.
etipuf
Tue Apr 17 2007, 07:24am
Registered Member #430 Joined: Sat Jan 06 2007, 09:30pm
: istanbul
nirghum arent the common spaces available to those people? that sounds very unlikely and if possible, very disturbing. though i think seperating their spaces isnt a good idea either, facilities should serve all regardless of economic level.
im taking this quantitative methods in urban planning class and there is a theory /formula that takes into account the job oppurtunities in an area.
say you plan to build a new factory and assign a residential zone to bear the extra population it will bring, you first plan for the people who will actually work there, and then a percentage of it is the service people, and then the people who will serve the service people. this way you determine what kind and amount of housing you need to provide and the future population so that you can assign proper facilities. other population estimation theories, includeing the ones we often use in our projects
do not mention the ratio of service workers so we cannot take them into specific account. though there is always a rough idea that they may have different needs like any group can have.
rubelraf
Tue Apr 17 2007, 03:49pm
rubelraf
Admin Registered Member #12 Joined: Sat Sep 17 2005, 01:22pm
: Dhaka, Bangladesh
I agree with etipuf on the point... that, there should not be any kind of discrimination through class restriction/differentiation ...

nirghum
Tue Apr 17 2007, 03:51pm
I partially disagree you,
The same common place wont work for every level of people. Imagine yourself as a service people, now where there is a lawn or walk way your house master and his mistress are sitting with other house masters talking or working out some free hand exercise, you wont feel comfortable there to chat with another service guy of the neighboring house.
The modest air-conditioned shopping mall where the kids and house owners, takes coffee, pastry or ice cream you will rather try to avoid the place and to have a simple tea and cigarette gossiping with other service guy.
I seriously think if you put one single common place that will serve the upper class, owner class but not the service people.

etipuf
Thu Apr 19 2007, 09:05am
i dont know it may be because i grew up in this neighborhood in the city centre where we thought its only natural to play with our janitors children in the park in front of the apartment i live in
my parents too have kind dialogues with the service people around
it is a matter of bringing up and social values i guess, turkish tradition allows common spaces to serve all, it is too rude to discriminate people
though you are right because this is not a mixed use neighborhood like mine. this is a terribly planned mass housing project for the middle class only and people who choose to live here probably dont share the same values as i do, or even if they do, they dont expect to practice them
so i think there could be rather isolated places other than the fancier ones
though i wont seperate childrens playgrounds, i think thats unnecessary and terribly wrong- children dont instinctively discriminate and they should not be taught to do so while they are growing up
nirghum
Thu Apr 19 2007, 09:52pm
Children should be left alone together.
And there is difference between two situation.
One is independent urban are, another is housing complex within a boundary. I men to say by Independent urban or sub urban area, is where every house is owned by one person, freely and there is no defined limit of the area. If take a slice of such are you will see there are mixed housing. Some are five storied, and may be just beside that there is a small piece of home single storied ,teen shade.
But a housing complex where generally we found all the building, standing tall and having almost similar structure, design and color some times. The flats are sold to different clients. People comes there to settle down no one knows or bother who the person living next to him. There things are different. There the housing spaces are not exactly what you say home. Its product to buy. And use it a long as you like them then put it for rent or sell. In such scenario you need to think in different way.

In my home town, the owner of the five storied solid building, and the owner of the adjacent teen shade get the same respect, there is a tie or bondage of brotherhood.
But in the capital Dhaka, where I am living now after two years of living I really don’t know who is the dueler on top of me.
I don’t know his name, I don’t know how much are they, even I don’t know whether its an corporate office or family.
I just see lots off car parked down there at parking early morning, and late evening, not in day time. Few drivers and the securities gathering down there. And when they see us to passes by, they gets alert some time pay a salam.
Surely they stop talking or laughing. When I pass them then they get back to ease again.
I get to see people in elevator, or stair as mine is second floor. I use stair often. But really don’t know whether they are visitor or dueler.

That’s what I called these living spaces are not home. These are just some product of some developer company. Commodity to be bought and sold. Some times rent or sublet. No soul lives within the concrete.

etipuf
Fri Apr 20 2007, 08:20pm
I was born in the largest city in turkey and lived here so far but i can tell the same process of alienation happens everywhere. its like a global social disease.
though im not that close to my neighbors either and am happy with that, my mother does know our neighbors, visits them, i chose not to
still im happy with the social structure of my neighborhood, as i said, i grew up playing with people from different classes and i get to talk to different people. i dont feel like i have to be friends with them all as people are in small towns.

Go to: