Forums

ArchSociety :: Forum :: Design Process :: Design Development

« Previous topic | Next topic »
need help with building material for gallery along the thames...
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
tuba
Tue Apr 29 2008, 11:47pm Print
Registered Member #470 Joined: Tue Feb 13 2007, 01:14am
: london
hi im designing a gallery along the river thames in greenwich, we are working with the site so somehow i need to relate it to the site as much as i could, along where my building will be designed is all metal sheet piling on the edge of the ground, (~im attaching the photo so u can see closely) so i have picked that element to bring it into my building an show it outside of my building and some interior aswel.. i thought of using concrete and making the pattern of the sheet piling on it.. or do u have any other suggestions that i could use?? i would be greatful its any1 gives me ideas:) thanks
Greenwich Thames London architecture archsociety

----------------------------
[image codes edited by a moderator, save the image to computer to see the original bigger picture] Edited Wed Apr 30 2008, 04:13pm
NEO
Thu May 01 2008, 07:30pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
Hmm kinda good idea I think. You may think of rusted metal cladding on concrete walls rather than making the concrete looking like those metal piles.

Have you started designing it, I mean some sketches or drawings? I would love to see those... if you would would post them here... Edited Thu May 01 2008, 07:35pm
naquib
Sun May 04 2008, 07:33am
Registered Member #980 Joined: Sat Apr 05 2008, 06:27am
: Philadelphia
using the current material found on the site is an interesting starting point, but doesn't necessarily respond to the question of how to respond to the context.
are you thinking of generating the form of the building as a direct vertical extrusion on the site (taking the profile of the material and directly extending it), or using the tone, texture, and corrugation as independent composition pieces? if so, the container cities found around england, and the work of Lo-Tek can be used as inspiration.
also, are these pilings going to remain on the site once your building is put there? a heapload of questions will arise once you clarify your strategy.

Go to: