Forums

ArchSociety :: Forum :: Design Process :: Bubble of Ideas..

« Previous topic | Next topic »
help regarding "youth correctional institute"
1 2 3 
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
Anika
Tue Jun 16 2009, 07:35am Print
Registered Member #328 Joined: Tue Nov 07 2006, 06:14am
: dhaka
i'm doing my thesis on youth correctional institute and trying to start design after deriving a proper concept.but as it could be looked at from various perspective,i'll be really glad if everyone givies their opinion regarding it.the project info goes as follows:

Project Name: Joypurhat Youth Correctional Institute
Site Area: 10.53 acre

Youth Correctional Institute are safe places that, aims in behavioral development of juveniles coming in conflict with law & in the best circumstances offer some hope for a better future . But this linear thought can’t lead towards overall perception of the project.For instance Tomal, Rehnuma, Jamilur staying in correction institute comes from diversified background.

Tomal dropped his schoolings to earn money because of his mother’s illness, who used to sell food(e.g.boiled eggs,cakes etc.) on footpath to run a family of five members & was the only earning person. She got beaten by the poice badly for not giving bribe and got seriously sick.tomal had to start working and Complain against him was of carrying Phensidyle for which he has been brought to correctional institute.Though did thist o earn for his family’s survival and his mother’s medicine.

Rehnuma is a 14 years old girl belonging to a posh family. She was provided with all luxuries by her parents whom she met few times a week. She became addicted to drugs which relieved her from the pain of not getting her parents in spite of them being alive.

Jamilur is a 13 yrs old boy who is used to of pick pocketing and stealing things even from his own home.

These are the children coming in the same correctional institute.For their delinquency society,family and the system is laible.The question is how an institute can be a gateway of correction for all of them.The answer lies in finding out baseline which is common for all of them.

Firstly,i thought that its ethics,morality,values which has to be developed or corrected of the juveniles which will, within them create the sense of good and bad and resist them from delinquent behaviors.As most the delinquents are from lower economic background,it made me feel that rehabilitation is more important then correction. but afterwards i found out that "building up values" is the wrong thing to aim at.Its the society,surroundings who's ethics and morality can b questioned and has to be developed, not the juveniles'.

HOPE & SENSITIVITY are things that’ll encourage the juveniles to get corrected.Unless there is hope,there is no need for development of current situation in which they are in.Sensitivity will create an understanding of black and white ,good or bad.

the one liner of this idea can possibly be "A SPACE FOR ENLIGHTMENT".or may be something else..:(

i'm also seeking the architectural transformation of HOPE.....along with the program,how the spaces can give the light of HOPE and SENSITIVITY..................................................the transformation is so tough...frown.pngspecial.pngdodge.png

do u guys think this concept works for such an institute???do u think there is anything wrong with my perception???and last but not the least...plzzz sm1 prescribe me an architect who's work u think can help me in transformation into architectural spaces.... Edited Tue Jun 16 2009, 04:01pm
nirghum
Tue Jun 16 2009, 10:22pm
Registered Member #26 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2005, 05:52pm
: bits N bites
watch the movie "purashkar"- i think i am not disturbing you by making same comment again n again.

tomswer, i dont know if you have read the book(classic by mark twainn), is the best picture in my mind of a correctional child hood environment.
there tom had happened to be a delinquent friend by name hukle barri fin, forget the miss spell. the name sound like that. he had no mother and a father who was thief. with the help of his surrounding environment, and friendship with tom, and other citizen of the small town, he became a good guy.

here the proper execution of Discipline- in life, will make the change. in a very controlled discipline manner of life gives huge mental rest. thus one can get to enhance his inner SENSITIVITY.

Anika
Tue Jun 23 2009, 10:02am
nobody except nirghum cares to give their valuable suggestions...:(
NEO
Mon Jun 29 2009, 09:17am
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
Great post Anika!
By the way, it has been researched and proved that there's no such thing called 'good' or 'bad' person in the world. People start doing bad things cause of the bad surroundings or situations. This is not a theory, this is proven truth. I will give you references regarding this research later.
Here I insert a TED Talk. Philip Zimbardo shows how easy it is for nice people to turn bad. This talk may help you somehow:

I think, from your study you already understand quite well why a juvenile becomes delinquent.

Now stop thinking about that and start thinking why YOU are NOT a delinquent! Find out the elements that kept you away from doing wrong things. And I'm sure (:-p) in your life you must have done some so-called 'wrong' things! Think of the surrounding and situation that lead you to do that. Now from this difference take the good points that prevented you to become a delinquent.

What I see from my life the important elements that kept me away from being a delinquent were:

1. My parents 2. The neighborhood library 3. Attachments with the neighborhood kinds and families 4. Influences of my siblings 5. The neighborhood Mosque 6. My school 7. Different types of cultural and group activities (like: painting school and competitions, drama and music, scouting, camping, karate school, sports, meditation practice) 8. And few of my good friends
So these were the elements for which you see whatever I am today. Things were not all good of course! Other elements were obviously there, so here I talk about:

The elements that provoked me to do wrong things like: stealing fruits from neighbors' trees, fishing in others' pond, skipping school, taking money from parents telling lies, stilling money or cigarettes from my dads pocket, stealing books, smoking, tasting marijuana, drinking alcohol on our roof, fighting in the street... etc. yes I DID all these. WHY I have not been 'designated' as a 'delinquent'? If one incidence would cross its limit and would go to the hand of public or police I WOULD become ONE to go to your 'Correctional Center'!

Now the architecture may try to put the elements in the design from the list that kept me in limit. That’s how a correctional center would work at best.
You may go for two ways:
1. Creating spaces which may inspire the youth to do better things in life! Spaces of enlightment (as you said!), spaces that will make them respect the God! Massive height spaces with dramatic plays of light and shadows.. a robust formal and monumental form may be…
It may start with a rational study of climatic geometry. You may follow Luis Kahn’s monumentality, lights and orders.
2. The design may start from a different point! The point is how they will live their daily life there. You have to deliberately design every minute of their weekly routine. As you already know they are used to follow a tightly scheduled routine of works. Now you start designing your spaces as per their daily routine.
Visualize each ‘events’ they go through. And portray your spaces according to the purpose and necessities of those ‘events’. This process will help the authority to run the institute effectively. There architecture will participate as a part of their daily activities.

You may also try a camouflage of these two processes I described.
Work hard. And as soon as you develop some sketches please try uploading them in this thread. Wish you all the best.
Anika
Mon Jul 06 2009, 05:44pm
thanx neo....
NEO
Tue Jul 07 2009, 04:16am
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
Often it becomes tough to 'start' a design. I hope you have already started the painful journey
I don't know whether you watched the working process of Architect Joshua Prince-Ramus of REX architecture! That process is really a easy and great way to 'start' with a design. It is somewhat making the volume masses of the different parts of the program and playing with them rationally, this process gives a faster way to conceive a design sometimes. Watch his amazing presentation:

Unknown
Mon Jul 13 2009, 10:21am
anika i agree with neo, start the design, ultimately everyone expect a good design.......
CharlesNoise
Fri Feb 01 2019, 02:07pm
Registered Member #11163 Joined: Mon Oct 22 2018, 03:36am
: Czech Republic
biaxin for uti cheap furosemide Order Toprol Proscar toprol cheap elimite doxycycline avana 50 mg atarax Clomid
1 2 3 

Go to: