landscaping mass housing projects and neighborhood parks
1 2 
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
etipuf
Thu Apr 12 2007, 07:10pm Print
Registered Member #430 Joined: Sat Jan 06 2007, 09:30pm
: istanbul
im taking this landscape architecture course which was all about theory until now, and in the last few weeks left we are supposed to develop a landscape project for a very dense mass housing project and the adjacent park
how do you go about designing open spaces in residential projects? any bright ideas on innovative uses of a ~3ha park?
i dont need to post the site and ask for a specific design for that, i just need ideas and sample projects, i need something extraordinary
inspire me:)
rubelraf
Thu Apr 12 2007, 08:56pm
rubelraf
Admin Registered Member #12 Joined: Sat Sep 17 2005, 01:22pm
: Dhaka, Bangladesh
you have to provide some public facilities to the people of that neighborhood which they can just enjoy....
it can be "newspaper stand"/"tea stall"/"small cafe"/"kebab bar"/"public toilets" and lots of seating places with the shade of trees, there could be walkways with proper lighting, water[h] can be integrated with the landscape; as it gives the sense of coolness to the human beings. main theme should be that, utilization of the leftover spaces,as converting those spaces to places[by introducing events to the space, which have to be designed]. Important thing is that, the space should be designed for the mass not for just looking beautiful [as it may turn into cosmetics; and whatever anyone might say, cosmetics is cosmetics]. so the ultimate design must be devoted to the people.

in our country there is a concept of "Adda" which means gathering of some people for just passing the time. there in no intention of doing anything other than that[such as negotiating business]. the main need is "Interaction" here. and Interaction in a neighborhood is so much important to be ignored.

whatever, Be sensitive while you design those neighborhood places. and best of luck to you. hope you can try to do something for the people.

etipuf
Thu Apr 12 2007, 09:06pm
thank you rubel raf, adda seems very interesting, what are the spatial requirements for that? just seating?
do you have any particular designs that you like? something new, something functional, something smart?
id especially love to get visuals-photos, designs, sketches
i kinda have an idea what i need/have to include and watch out for, i want to give something more to it
rubelraf
Thu Apr 12 2007, 09:38pm
rubelraf
neo did some analysis on "adda".
I think he can describe that better than me.
I might be a bit orthodox. but I believe that in the process of learning, first we have to learn the usual method, after achieving satisfactory level in that, we may proceed to the next level. there is a say "to break the rule, you have to know the rule". In my case, I am a bit slow learning . and I will try to write about some ideas later on.

rubelraf
Sat Apr 14 2007, 02:11pm
rubelraf

NEO..
this thread needs your comment...

etipuf
Sun Apr 15 2007, 12:46pm
thank you again rubel raf for watching ths thread:) hope we'll get neos attention soon
this class im getting was about the common practice so far, we've been examining landscapes and learning theory for weeks but what ive learned i did not find inspiring, most of it was dull actually
i mean, how many times do we have to repeat that human scale is important in plazas?
NEO
Sun Apr 15 2007, 03:41pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
Oh I'm sorry dear Etipuf....
Atul, DAN and me were working on a project on Architect Muzharul Islam 24 hours for last few days. Muzharul Islam has been nominated for the Robert Mathew Award this year by CAA. We were praparing the materials for Muzharul Islam to send for the award under instruction of Architect Nurur Rahman Khan. That's why I was almost out of ArchSociety last few days.

Anyway...
Lets talk about the issue... there's actually nothing which is 'extra ordinary' in architecture! Actually the most 'ordinary' thing is the most outstanding and extra-ordinary

Think of the community need of a particular area. That will give you the inspiration towards doing landscape for them. Look around the communities or neighborhoods near you. Think and find out what kind of landscape elements would come to their help indeed.
The project which Rubel was talking about I did that in 3rd year. That was not actually a good example of landscape design at all or not even a good example of architecture. But the good thing in that project was my 'intension' of the design, design philosophies and concepts behind the work. Those may inspire you towards doing landscape or public places for the people.
Here is the project:

1164734736 4 FT826 Neo Third Year Final

Here I tried to create a fusion among different communities (like different age groups, intellectuals and general people) at a single place through landscape and spatial and visual connection among different functional spaces, where they can meet for different cultural purposes together and have their regular rendezvous.
I'm not actually sure whether it will come to any help for you or not.... Rubel was talking about it so I posted.
Drawings are poor there... and few texts are written in Bengali... if you need those to be translated I'll try on my next post.

But landscape is a really interesting thing to do... enjoy it dear...:)
etipuf
Mon Apr 16 2007, 08:51pm
thanks neoo
i dont think your drawings are poor, and i really envy people who can sketch. im terrible at it
this is the kind of thing i could install in small spaces among buildings, it looks adaptable to a contour site like mine too
it made me think of meeting culture in turkey, these terrible ugly blocks that im landscaping have a whole neighborhood worth of population in the high rise
guess my goal should be to build a meeting and neighborhood culture
old turkish neighborhoods had fountains, people met and talked when they went out to get water
also turks are veeeeery fond of turkish coffee and black tea, they usually meet and converse over coffee, not a specific activity:)
1 2 

Go to: