Forums

ArchSociety :: Forum :: Design Process :: Bubble of Ideas..

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Environment Behavior Studies / Environmental Design Research
1 2 
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
kmeher
Sun Aug 26 2007, 01:25pm Print
Registered Member #741 Joined: Sun Aug 26 2007, 01:19pm
: Japan
I am just curious, how hot a topic is this in BD? Or is it something the architects are still thinking too remote a topic? No offence.
NEO
Tue Aug 28 2007, 03:29am
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
"Environment Behavior Studies / Environmental Design Research" Hah it's a hot topic indeed around the globe. Yeah, there are some outstanding architects and teachers near us who take care of what’s going on in the contemporary world.
I'm doing my thesis project, Chapai-Nawabganj Polytechnic Institute. Prof. Shamsul Wares is our studio adviser. During our 2nd preliminary he gave me a long speech on sustainability issues as the most contemporary trends of architecture. He added: We most of the people of (so called) 3rd world countries are automatically adopted with environmental sustainable behavior by birth from the nature. He always tells a hilarious story after this:

"A farmer man bought a লুঙ্গি ('Lungi': a seamless piece of cloth for lower part of the body). When it became old he left it to his wife for making a নকশি কাঁথা (‘Nokshi Kantha’: kind of decorative blanket) with it. Kantha made. After using more than 2/3 years, the kantha also got torn. They cut the kantha into pieces and made some ‘lusni’ for kitchen (লুসনি- thick pad made of cloth to work with hot accessories in kitchen). After 6 months those lusni also became dirty, burnt and torn. Then the farmer man was thinking what to do with… okay lets burn up all the lusni! They burnt up them all and got some fine ash. In rural area cotton burnt ash is popular as toothpowder. They happily used the ash as toothpowder few days. When the lusni burnt toothpowder finished, the farmer annoyed and sadly told to her wife ‘huh the total money for buying a lungi was a wastage!”

What can be more sustainable and environment conscious behavior than this? Reusing, recycling is part of our culture. We were all environment friendly by birth. Although when all the brand minipack products appeared in the market we started to throw off polymer packets into our life giving cultivable lands. We, most of the architects’ community are now a part of this ‘minipack throwing off’ culture. We are in a position of ‘bringing back our real culture’ not to learn ‘environment friendly behavior’ from them who themselves wonder to see our culture of reusing and recycling.

Here architects just have to be intelligent enough to bring back those essences of vernacular culture in modern days through their works. And I think there are some architects who are really caring about these issues. Edited Tue Aug 28 2007, 03:35am
kmeher
Sat Sep 01 2007, 04:17pm
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated your sharing the story. I couldn't agree more to what you meant.
But I am afraid there is a fine line between environmental design research (and/or environment behavior studies; which are popularly known as EDR or EBS) and sustainable design. EDR is taking inputs from people's behavior in certain space and incorporating them into design. A more familiar way to refer would be I guess is taking data from post-occupancy surveys and translating them into new designs of the sorts.
A magic book would be Inquiry by Design:Tools For Environment-Behavior Research by John Zeisel if you like some fundamental understanding how it can come handy in your research, if you are into it. The next best would be A Practical Guide to Behavioral Research: Tools and Techniques by Robert sommer et el.
Hope I am adding value.    Edited Sat Sep 01 2007, 04:18pm
nirghum
Sun Sep 02 2007, 11:48pm
Registered Member #26 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2005, 05:52pm
: bits N bites
i would love to have some examples of input parameters. then a design proposal,
which incorporates those data.
I think one or two such example would made the topic more clear. I am hoping a reply from YOU {kmeher- welcome to our community }

i mean im interested to learn more.
kmeher
Mon Sep 03 2007, 11:06am
This is not the best of examples and am too pressed with time to actually delve into it and make an educated response to satisfy your thirst. http://www.geocities.com/ksameher/behavior_research.html

This may or may not help. Just thought might shed some light at least... Edited Mon Sep 03 2007, 11:06am
tessellar
Wed Sep 05 2007, 05:13pm
Registered Member #693 Joined: Wed Jul 25 2007, 03:44am
: Kuala Lumpur
When I was a student in the late 70's environmental and social psychology had a bigger place in architecture. Architects like Oscar Newman and Jan Gehl made their reputation with academic papers papers rather than glitzy illustrations. No more now, In my website, the page
Tessellar>theory>social science is the least visited page! So its refreshing to have this post by kmeher. Goodluck on your blog.
Killersmile
Sun Apr 24 2022, 06:06am
Registered Member #18025 Joined: Sun Apr 24 2022, 05:31am
: sydney australia
Great site i love it keep posting more! www.fencingspokanewa.com
idasanka
Tue Apr 26 2022, 01:50pm
Registered Member #17236 Joined: Sat Jan 29 2022, 02:15pm
: davao
thanks for sharing

https://carwraptucson.com
1 2