Forums

ArchSociety :: Forum :: Design Process :: Bubble of Ideas..

« Previous topic | Next topic »
VOICE OUT!!! designing a contemporary public library
1 2 
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
Yasir
Fri Jan 25 2008, 11:18am Print
Registered Member #138 Joined: Sun Aug 13 2006, 01:56am
: chennai
Hi!!
My Thesis is on public library!! I need help from you all!!
i want u to describe how different today's libraries are compare to say....libraries half a century before!!! ur views and arguments could be from any perspective not specifically architecture... Insha Allaah ur comments would be really useful. AND thanx in advance for ur reviews and comments!!!
Edited Sat Jan 26 2008, 07:27pm
NEO
Fri Jan 25 2008, 08:51pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
Watch out Kahn's works on libraries. They have some platonic approaches to welcome natural light in reading room. Those may inspire you.

Library is something often which is more important more spiritual than a prayer hall.

Todays library is often comprising technological equipments like audio-visual archives, internet facilities etc. The placement and the overall setup of a library in a site is also very important.
Public libraries often become the host of cultural functions, public gathering in cultural events, painting exhibition etc. So this place is also important as an important place for urban public activities as well.
Yasir
Sat Jan 26 2008, 05:39pm
Thanx man neo!!! Actually am not looking for concepts and design aspects just as yet... Wat am looking for is the last point of yours.. Actually the ROLE of a public library is changing in view of the attraction of people towards internet, digital libraries and things like that.. This is wat I wanna know how people are seeing today's public libraries!!!
diya
Tue Jan 29 2008, 07:24am
Admin Registered Member #351 Joined: Mon Nov 20 2006, 10:49am
: Dhaka
hi. i think its important to know if you are talking about public libraries all over the world or ones in the subcontinent. for the former, you would have to look into broader more general issues but if you concentrate on the Indian subcontinent you can seek out people's response to particular public libraries over time and compare and contrast them to get some ideas.
nirghum
Tue Jan 29 2008, 09:16pm
Registered Member #26 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2005, 05:52pm
: bits N bites
lot of searching kiosk best prfference touch scrin monitor(they are available in india), fastest possible internet connection, fully computerised book keeping.
lots of greeen plantation wthin the tables, cool corners semi private semi public feeling. these are i can name instantly. Edited Tue Jan 29 2008, 09:17pm
Yasir
Wed Jan 30 2008, 03:14am
GREAT!!! thanx to evryone... carry on...
ritu bhardwaj
Sat Feb 02 2008, 05:47pm
Registered Member #87 Joined: Sat Jul 29 2006, 06:47am
: jaipur
hey yazmi...even m workin' over library as my design problem...the basic requirments of today library are the appropraite connection between private and semi private spaces ...formal and informal readin' ares...open spaces for relaxation ...even cafeteria...and proper openings for natural light ...AV rooms...n discussion area ...special facilites of browsin' other libraries all over the world thru net and ofcourse e-books @ today's basic requirements of students...mine is a institutional library...do help out as to how can i start wid it...and some gud examples of libraries...gud luck n thnx!!
Yasir
Sun Feb 03 2008, 09:02am
Ok! fine... thanx! I have done my study part and i have got some conclusions regarding the change in role and extra spaces and partners etc... will put in a few days here! wats ur proj like exactly??? by academic you mean college or school...or university? if u be a little more specific, i might help. Insha Allaah! Edited Sun Feb 03 2008, 09:04am
1 2 

Go to: