Forums

Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
Guido Chiesa
Mon Mar 03 2008, 01:21pm Print
Registered Member #929 Joined: Mon Mar 03 2008, 08:57am
I have devoted many years, spending my own money, to learning about mud houses, since the day, back in 1987, when I first discovered mud bricks.
I have lived in India 4 years, learning all I could about the subject. I dearly wanted to build for the poor but unfortunately I met enormous resistance from the upper caste people in India and I couldn't do anything.
I have done workshops, research in libraries and I have even come up with a project of my own, which you can see in the following Website:
http://lowcosthouse.110MB.com
Twenty years have passed since I first started out and I am still looking for someone who can help me make my dream come true: build mud-houses for the poor.
I do not have a degree in architecture but my project is good and has been reviewed by architects and found sound.
naheen
Fri Mar 07 2008, 06:44pm
Registered Member #364 Joined: Sun Nov 26 2006, 02:41pm
: Dhaka
:) that sounds great work to me.
we would love to know more from you
Guido Chiesa
Fri Mar 07 2008, 11:51pm
Registered Member #929 Joined: Mon Mar 03 2008, 08:57am
I first came to know about mud bricks while I was working in a Gandhian Community here in France. There, I borrowed a book by famous Egyptian mud architect Hassan Fathy.
I was so impressed by the subject that I left the community and went to learn and work with famous French mud architect Joseph Cozani, near Toulouse.
I worked there for many months, did workshops, built modern mud houses and learnt everything there was to know about mud construction.
With architect Colzani I went to India and attended the First International Conference on Mud Architecture, presided over by famous Anglo-Indian architect Laurie Baker.
Then I went and lived 4 years in West Bengal, trying to see what the prospects were to apply my knowledge to real field conditions.
But I met with resistance on the part of the local leaders and couldn't do anything. That is when I designed my own personal model, as seen in my Website.
I also visited famous Mud Architecture Centre, world leader, in France: CRATERRE, which had sponsored the building of a complete village with mud here in France (Ile d'Abeau).
Today, I am still trying to get my project off the ground and I keep contacting people here and there around the world.
They all say that mud is the only solution for house shortage in developing countries but nobody seems to have the courage to start building.
One problem is that mud architecture is not normally taught in Universities, so you cannot get a degree on that subject.
Another problem is that they fear that if and when they will actually build the houses, something will happen (monsoon or other) and the houses will come down.
They are afraid.
They are prepared to build with stabilized soil blocks, full of cement, which makes the bricks very durable but very expensive.
Even Laurie Baker , although he pledged to build for the poor, never built mud houses.
And the poor keep waiting. . .
Best regards
Guido
Subasini
Sat Feb 28 2009, 03:51am
Registered Member #1361 Joined: Fri Feb 27 2009, 05:30am
: Kathmandu
This is very sad. I wish mud bricks didnt fall apart during the monsson..maybe there are some ways out. i have been working on such construction. the vaulted roof structure the ones like those what hassan falthy did. It is very exciting thing to do. But much costly. i Guess
NEO
Thu Mar 05 2009, 10:42am
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
@Guido
Yes there are proven ways of making stronger mud structures. That's the 'rammed earth' construction system.
Architect Anna Heringer and Eike Roswag won the Aga Khan Award for their METI School in Bangladesh. That building is made of rammed earth. You may take a look too this article:
http://www.archsociety.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.31

Or if you are really serious about learning the technology of rammed earth construction you may come down to Bangladesh, talk with the Housing Research Institute or directly knock Anna Heringer, she might help you.

However, one major confusion should be cleared first....
I think it is wise to stop thinking that earth construction is inexpensive. No it is not, absolutely not. And it never was. I have lived in earthen houses in rural Bangladesh. And they were a luxury in the villages not 'low cost'! Richer people are used to make earthen houses in northern Bangladesh, not the poor. It often costs more than a brick building.
And the so-called rammed earth construction is a very expensive 'technology'. Yes often rammed earth construction requires a lot of heavy machineries as well.

Good wishes for you and its great that you are really trying to build houses for the poor. Count me with you... anytime if you need any support feel free to knock me.
ZaraCamfi
Wed Sep 28 2022, 01:39pm
Registered Member #17044 Joined: Mon Dec 13 2021, 10:35pm
: detroid
I can start everything, but when I don’t have the strength to give up, so I immediately decided to start looking for an alternative, and I’m glad that I found a blog about who can do my research paper, and I realized that this source is my best assistant.

Go to: