Forums

ArchSociety :: Forum :: Design Process :: Bubble of Ideas..

Next topic »
Thesis Topic - Shelter for juvenile
1 2 3 4  last
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
Ruchita Rathod
Wed Nov 30 2011, 09:15am Print
Registered Member #2852 Joined: Wed Nov 30 2011, 09:03am
Hello Members,

I need help regarding my thesis topic.If you can help me with appropriate case studies for juvenile home and observatory homes it would be appreciated. You are even welcome to suggest some design ideas for the project.

Thank you
Edited Sat Dec 03 2011, 06:12pm
NEO
Wed Nov 30 2011, 12:25pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
Can you please explain a bit more about what do you mean by Juvenile Home? Is it something like the 'correction center' that is usually used by the police and legal authorities for young 'criminals' (sorry I couldn't find an appropriate alternative word to replace criminal, I didn't like it to be used for minors.)
Ruchita Rathod
Wed Nov 30 2011, 12:55pm
hey neo,

When i said shelter for juvenile - I meant a place where young orphan or street children who are involved voluntarily or involuntarily in activities like crime, physical abuse, stealing, drug addicts are given shelter, rejuvenated,and educated.

So basically i am looking at facilities like rehabilitation centers, health care centers, recreational and vocational training ,residing and educational facilities.

A small world of their own, where they can find a new direction in their life. Be self-sustaining using all the facility and grow into better adults.

I hope i am clear and have answered your question. Edited Sat Dec 03 2011, 06:14pm
NEO
Wed Nov 30 2011, 07:24pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
Thanks it explains everything.
I have called up one of my friends (http://www.archsociety.com/user.php?id.328) who has recently finished her thesis on a very similar project. I hope she'll be on this thread with resources soon

All the best. Edited Sat Dec 03 2011, 06:14pm
Ruchita Rathod
Thu Dec 01 2011, 11:53am
Hi!!
Waiting for the reply!!
Anika
Fri Dec 02 2011, 08:16pm
Registered Member #328 Joined: Tue Nov 07 2006, 06:14am
: dhaka
hi..i also did juvenile delinquent center in my thesis...i'll try to give an idea below to explain how i understood my project and derived my concept...hope it'll be of help to you..
Youth Correctional Institutes are safe places that, aim in behavioral development of juveniles coming in conflict with law & in the best circumstances offer some hope for a better future . But this linear thought can’t lead towards overall perception of the project.For instance Tomal, Rehnuma, Jamilur staying in correction institutes come from diversified backgrounds.

Tomal dropped out from school to earn money because of his mother’s illness, who used to sell food(e.g.boiled eggs,cakes etc.) on footpath to run a family of five members & was the only earning member of the family. She got beaten by the poice badly for not giving bribe and got seriously sick.tomal had to start working. The complaint against him was of carrying Phensidyle for which he has been brought to correctional institute. He did this to earn for his family’s survival and his mother’s medicine.

Rehnuma is a 14 year old girl belonging to a posh family. She was provided with all luxuries by her parents whom she met few times a week. She became addicted to drugs which relieved her from the pain of not getting her parents in spite of them being alive.

Jamilur is a 13 yr old boy who is used to pickpocket and steal things even from his own home.

These are the children coming into the same correctional institute. For their delinquency society, family and the system is liable. The question is how an institute can be a gateway of correction for all of them. The answer lies in finding out baseline which is common for all of them.

Firstly, I thought that its ethics, morality, values which has to be developed or corrected of the juveniles which will, within them create the sense of good and bad and stop help them resist delinquent behaviour. As most the delinquents are from lower economic backgrounds, it made me feel that rehabilitation is more important than correction. But afterwards I found out that "building up values" is the wrong thing to aim for. It’s the society, surroundings who's ethics and morality can be questioned and has to be developed, not the juveniles'.

HOPE & SENSITIVITY are things that’ll encourage the juveniles to get corrected. Unless there is hope, there is no need for development of current situation in which they are in. Sensitivity will create an understanding of black and white, good or bad.

The one liner of this idea can possibly be "A SPACE FOR ENLIGHTMENT".
Edited Sat Dec 03 2011, 06:20pm
Anika
Fri Dec 02 2011, 08:24pm
i've attached some pdfs that might help u understand the program and planning..i'll post more stuffs as soon as i get some time
Anika
Fri Dec 02 2011, 08:39pm

]juvfacdesign.pdf[/file]
1 2 3 4  last

Go to: