Forums

Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
Mareike
Mon Oct 30 2006, 07:51pm Print
Registered Member #305 Joined: Mon Oct 30 2006, 06:35pm
dear friends of architecture,
I am a student of architecture at TU Berlin and doing in the moment my final design about the development of Dhaka with the focus of the informal development and settlements. ( I was in Dhaka for almost a year, so I have also some ideas...) I try to work out an typology of informal housing and what are the general basics of informal aspects( you could call it global) and what are the local factors. The interesting thing for me about Dhaka is that the variation of informal housing is starting from the street hawkers and is going until the big developers. Another aspect of my study is the dhaka of the future. Like no other city in this world Dkaka is exploding and grown from a small city to one of the mega cities at all. The size even is still quite small.... So what do you this about all this points? How is your dhaka looking? And where you see some chances for develpment? How are the people that are rooling the system in theory and practice?
For all kind of comments and ideas, articels, maps, drawing, poems... whatever I am really happy....

Edited Tue Oct 31 2006, 03:06pm
mujtaba
Tue Oct 31 2006, 05:23am
Registered Member #14 Joined: Tue Sep 20 2005, 08:54pm
: Honolulu, HI
I am glad that students in Berlin are thinking about Dhaka and its development process. Informal development and settlement patterns in Dhaka should be an interesting study. I would rather like to investigate traditional folk culture and its influence on architecture.

If you take music for instance, a particular form of Bengali fold music called "Bhawaiya" derives generally from love between man and woman. It comes from the root Bengali word "bhav" meaning emotion. You will notice a distinct break in the sentence in some of the songs, derived amusingly, not from any compositional intent but because it was sung by cart-wheel or ox-carriage drivers so when the wheels hit a pit on the road and jerked the cart, the singer missed a word. The song is typically sung in this manner, even when the singer is performing on stage. The point is, there is an intricate link with folk culture, the form of art or architecture that evolves. May be the handwoven quilt could be seen as a tapestry vertically transformed into the wall of a shelter. I don't know, but I would surely like to find out a lot more about these.

Good luck and don't mind this dreamer.
NEO
Tue Oct 31 2006, 10:58pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
First of all thanks for sharing this nice sketch. It’s really awesome.
Other than the recent contribution of the developers most of the housing developments in Dhaka are informal. If you go through studies you’ll get that most of the people living in Dhaka are living in houses developed by informal private sectors.
People are used to live in private multistoried houses as tenants. The biggest portion of the population of the city is availing their shelters by renting them.
We did our housing projects in the last semester in fourth year. I have some statistical data and some reports on housing… I may share those for you. One of our teachers ( Architect Ziaul Haq) has recently did his M.Arch. on the highrise apartment culture of Dhaka. I may give you his contact or quote something from his thesis paper of masters.

You may get some important maps in the download section of archsociety. Grab all those maps first.
NEO
Thu Nov 02 2006, 09:59am
Oooo you have asked too many questions…. Let me synthesize all them first…. Going to edit my post with the answers soon.
NEO
Sun Nov 05 2006, 06:15pm
I have added a statistical data file about Dhaka city in the download section. Visit Downloads: Archsociety Publication : Statistical Data on Dhaka.
admin
Fri Dec 08 2006, 03:08pm
Main Admin Registered Member #1 Joined: Sun Jul 31 2005, 06:24am
: virtual architecture ..!
Hallo Mareike,
Some new detail AutoCAD drawings of some parts of Dhaka and Chittagong has been added in the download section. You may download them for your help.
The drawing of Sher e Bangla Nagar is really great. It's the orginal drawing of the planning department of Bangladesh Govt. Today I just got it from one of my friend and added it to downloads.
geebranzy
Mon Jan 31 2022, 08:18am
Registered Member #17235 Joined: Sat Jan 29 2022, 10:34am
: Bethany delaware
Research and development
storage buildings albuquerque

idasanka
Thu Sep 01 2022, 10:30am
Registered Member #17236 Joined: Sat Jan 29 2022, 02:15pm
: davao
Great articles and great layout. Your blog post deserves all of the positive feedback it’s been getting. https://customclosetsdesignjacksonvillefl.com

Go to: