Forums

ArchSociety :: Forum :: Design Process :: Bubble of Ideas..

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Required Help: on music and design
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
FAISAL SAUD
Sat Nov 18 2006, 08:11pm Print
Registered Member #345 Joined: Sat Nov 18 2006, 07:36pm
: karachi
Hey guys, I am student of architecture in University of Karachi and I am going to design a Music arena in Karachi city for my final year thesis project. Here I required help from all of you guys about the “BASICS OF MUSIC” means from where the music started, what are the differences between different types of music like ROCK and CLASSICAL music. How much music effects on human psychology or on the nature or what are the impact of different kind of musical instruments on human nature and all this kind of stuff.
Your response regarding to the topic is more then welcome.
Edited Sat Nov 18 2006, 08:56pm
NEO
Sat Nov 18 2006, 08:40pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
Well, we had a course in our b.arch syllabus that was Music Appreciation. We enjoyed that course very much.
But when you request for help regarding information on basic of music... then it's a bit tough talking from memory only.
However.. I'm trying to give you some basic sections of music (though what I’m writing here don't take it as very authentic information).
Almost everywhere in the world music is based on 7 basic notes. In Indian subcontinent we call them Saa, Rey, Gaa, Maa, Paa, Dhaa, Nee, in European or western music these are noted as Do, Re, Me, Fa, So, La, Ti.
Sound is nothing but the result of reverberation of air by different objects. The quality of sound is dependent on the 'wavelength' 'frequency' and the 'phase' (it's all about the sonic chapter of our physics text!). Those 7 notes are a series of intervals or some 7 points in equal distance in the sound frequency spectrum (from 20 HZ to 20000 HZ). When we start counting these 7s from a higher frequency sound then we call it high scale or high pitch sounds (suppose the voice of the opera singers!!!) or when we select from a low frequency range of sounds then we call them low scale sound (suppose the base of big-drums in parade ground!!).
Musical systems are different from Indian Sub-continental music and the western music. But everywhere the classical music patterns (like Sonata in Western Classical or Dhrupodi, Toppa, Thumri in Indian Classical) follow some strict rules of vocal or instruments. Rest of all other musical patterns are evolved from different experiments out of different situations, social and political demands.
Suppose, Rock music is an outcome of American and European younger generations who were reacting against the propaganda of world wars, different stupid conservative social norms…. The people who were trying to break the rules against humanity… people who were ‘angry’ against the typical society. People who are willing the break ‘the wall’

Oh don't forget to try google or wiki pedia for ferther specific information. See also... how music schools should be in architecture... how music is related to the architecture. And I'm willing to get the information of your progress in your thesis project here in archsociety.
Regards.

Edited Wed Nov 22 2006, 09:42pm
FAISAL SAUD
Mon Nov 20 2006, 10:42am
Thanx alot Neo, you have given alot of information about the m usic. great man!
And yaa sure, i will definately share my progress regarding to my thesis project and rest of the informations.
keep msging and thnx again. Edited Mon Nov 20 2006, 10:44am
rubelraf
Mon Nov 20 2006, 01:32pm
rubelraf
Admin Registered Member #12 Joined: Sat Sep 17 2005, 01:22pm
: Dhaka, Bangladesh

sometime Music can help a person to be cool.
for example, while I'm on the way from home to school or from school to home, I prefer listening to music on my mp3 player[pen drive]. it makes deference, because I feel relieved from the external chaos and noise. I can here whatever I want to here. and I like the thing. especially I don't have to here other peoples conversing on the mobile phone.

it is my opinion. people may differ from that, but on the way, I see a lot of people listening to music.

and good luck with your thesis project.

FAISAL SAUD
Wed Nov 22 2006, 10:38am
Again, thnx to RUBEL, yaa same here, i also have this habbit of listning music when i am on my way to University n i agree that it give release from the outside noise but do you ever experience the music and sound at any music concert?
If yes! then what do you say about that. what do you feel or what you experience at that moment? and also do you like to listen the music in open air space or in any kind of Hall?
Or if you didnt got any chance yet now then, do you like to go any musical concert if you get chance! if not then why did you dont wanted to go in a concert and prefer to listen music on your MP3 headfones or on your PC or on TV.
Unknown
Wed Nov 22 2006, 11:07am
hello faisal bhai, i'm telling u the basic difference between western and eastern music, our (eastern) music has a introduction, a body then it ends, this is a developing form and less repeatative, but the western music is reapetative and almost a part by repeat complete the whole song. plz just listen to a kheyal and a bethoven composition then you will understand the basic difference. kheya, dhrupod , thumri etc is our classical songs and bethoven, mozart etc compositions are western classical.... and today what we r listening to is the mix of the two style or some experiments. hope these will help u a little. u can look for books on music... specially the history books on music.... then u will caome to know how music changes by the ages
FAISAL SAUD
Wed Dec 06 2006, 07:01pm
Thnx mam perveen ahsan n sorry for late reply. actually i was busy in my exams. now i m free and ofcourse going to checkout some books or articles on music. Basically my thesis topic is to 'experiencing the music' LIVE. Means what a person feel difference to listen music on his PC or on TV and in any open or enclose space (live concerts). How we can make music arena more attractive to the common people?
Anywayz thankyou so much for your contribution and helping me thnx alot and keep messeging.
Killersmile
Sun Apr 24 2022, 07:58am
Registered Member #18025 Joined: Sun Apr 24 2022, 05:31am
: sydney australia
interesting post i love it keep posting more! www.bathroomremodeltoledoohio.com

Go to: