1 2 3 
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
etipuf
Sat Jan 06 2007, 11:24pm Print
Registered Member #430 Joined: Sat Jan 06 2007, 09:30pm
: istanbul
hi this is duygu basoglu from turkey
im studying urban & regional planning + architecture through the double major program of istanbul techical university, its my third year in urban planning now- i cant really tell how far i got with architecture though since im not following a regular schedule in my second major, but i can tell i feel more like an urban planner
everyone seems to be contributing to this place, not another point to just signup to and leave, thats great
well i found this site just tonight so im off browsing, nice to be here with everyone Edited Sat Jan 06 2007, 11:26pm
aliza
Sun Jan 07 2007, 05:15am
Registered Member #68 Joined: Thu Jul 06 2006, 06:28am
: dhaka
welcome to our community...and nice to see u here...
NEO
Sun Jan 07 2007, 03:46pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
Welcome dude.
And thanks, that you didn't do what you wrote 'signing up and leaving'!
I have a deep interest in urban planning. In our design studio we practice urban designing in fourth year. and I really enjoyed the urban designing projects then. Now I'm in the last year in architecture.
You may start sharing what you are doing in your studio, so that we may come to know about your works and who knows may be we small fellows may contribute in your work... may appear to help you....
Willing to see your regular participation and sharing. Wish you best of luck.:) Edited Sun Jan 07 2007, 03:54pm
etipuf
Sun Jan 07 2007, 08:47pm
Registered Member #430 Joined: Sat Jan 06 2007, 09:30pm
: istanbul
thanks both of you
neo im (duygu being a girls name not a dudes:) working on 2 studio projects and various homework projects right now, one is planning at a large scale policy level rather than design which doesn't concern architects in turkey as much is it should: we are taking an anatolian city and beginning with the 1/250000 scale strategical policy plan to the 1/25000 action plan and finally to the 1/5000 land use plan of a district
the other project is on the architectural survey and restoration of a 3 storey house in the historical jewish district of istanbul
other than that im supposed to come up with nondetailed ideas for a theme park for a landscape design class im taking, urban design ideas for the area around the blue mosque and urban preservation suggestions for another district
here both architecture and urban planning are studied in 4 years in total, how long does it take there? architecture used to be studied for a longer time in turkey too but then they took off some of the courses and now architects take only one urbanism course which doesn't work really, what kind of urban design projects do you get there?
uh thats a lot to ask maybe i should have started a new thread for this
well, maybe
admin
Sun Jan 07 2007, 10:37pm
Main Admin Registered Member #1 Joined: Sun Jul 31 2005, 06:24am
: virtual architecture ..!
Duygu,
Warm welcome to the community.
Ha ha ha.. I think I should add a new field in the users profile that is 'sex: male/female' so that other members may come to know who is a 'dude' and who is a 'babe'! Jocks apart..

Hmm you could open a new thread. Anyway... it's ok. Oh I think you have seen that there's an option of attaching CAD files and images with the posts. You can add drawings and photos with your writings anytime required.
However, glad to see your contributions at the beginning... wish to see you here for a long run....
Best of luck.

Edited Sun Jan 07 2007, 10:45pm
nirghum
Mon Jan 08 2007, 03:22pm
Registered Member #26 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2005, 05:52pm
: bits N bites
wish you happy stay here.
do you have orkut profile? if you have you can add me by sending an invitaion to 'nirghum' . or you can share your orkut username so that we can be orkut friend. yeh please share your designs with us.
NEO
Tue Jan 09 2007, 01:40pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
What do think about the effectiveness of a landuse plan for a district at 1/5000 scale in real life work? Does it really work effectively in practical? Often urban designers are saying that natural mixed-used developments are rather preferable for the contemporary situation of cities. In this way we may think of a town as a cluster of small independent self-sufficient neighborhoods who each of them consists of everything in them. In policy level decision this may be declared that which cluster of neighborhood will focus on which particular purposes. But declaring a large area as ‘residential’ or ‘commercial’ may not be a wise policy instead. Oh, may be I’m talking too much out of my little knowledge.

Anyway, Istanbul as far as I saw in pictures… is a fabulous city. It’s colorful, touchy and charming. Istanbul is intimate. It’s classy for it’s cultural and historical backgrounds. And your campus... ITU is in an excellent location… surronded by Hyatt, Ritz Carlton, Intercontinental!!... the view of the harbor, Bosphorus bridge, Dolmabahçe Mosque, Inonu Stadium….

Here in our campus we study architecture for 5 years (as usual) of 198 credits in total. And we do 4 credits of urban design theories and a design studio sessional on urban design of 10 credits, that’s it. Generally we do some projects in that studio like redesigning some areas of a city, or solving some urban crisis of a neighborhood or a traffic node etc. It’s just for a development of our thoughts to a ‘broader scale’ I think, not like a whole lot of policy making and designing for a whole city as you do in your Urban Design major.
But I think I’m going to do my post graduate in UD. I’m in love with it.
Edited Tue Jan 09 2007, 01:47pm
nirghum
Tue Jan 09 2007, 03:11pm
Registered Member #26 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2005, 05:52pm
: bits N bites
yeh UD is a real challenge for the architects. its though not of architects alone, rather its a team.politics or you can say govt. of that place which in turn strongly involve politics is some times a big factor.
in an independent piece of land, building a single unite, may be a residence, market, school or hospital is far better easy to deal.
but to think about a city its tough. cause you never know what is going to be the governmental situation at the time of executing the plan while you plan it. change in governmental situation some times hinder the execution process a lot. i found this part very tough in UD.
other than that UD is nothing but putting few beautiful functional unites in a concentrated manner. but when you consider the implementation than it involves people. their culture. though to take decision on culture issue is not that tough as change in culture is not that fast. or it happen in more uniform way. but change in political situation is some thing drastic.
1 2 3 

Go to: