1 2 
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
faria hasan
Mon Feb 26 2007, 06:03pm Print
Registered Member #489 Joined: Mon Feb 26 2007, 05:25pm
: karachi
hello ol~
i m faria, im doin thesis on the philosophy of life...and its effects on architecture
there came in three eras in philosophy,the ancient medieval and moderm era.
that had their own theories n concepts.
i want to know from u guys wat a/c to u is the today's philosophy of life???
If u ask me,i wud rather say its HYPOCRISY and materialistic appraoch towatrds life...
and this certainely has effected the architecture of today's world..
so wat according 2 u is the current philosophy of life??

nirghum
Mon Feb 26 2007, 10:13pm
Registered Member #26 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2005, 05:52pm
: bits N bites
Current philosophy of life is money.
Whatever happening now a days its for money. Atomic research, sells arms, keep busy in war, rule other, ruin and build everything is for money.
Even if you talk about love, then buy valentine gift, send greeting card all are for money. That’s the only philosophy left for us.

i would beg to the architects if possible build something that would give us a break from money. and the growing capitalism. some thing for all, something liberal.
etipuf
Tue Feb 27 2007, 12:13am
Registered Member #430 Joined: Sat Jan 06 2007, 09:30pm
: istanbul
1-consumerism, in terms of architecture, creating images of places and marketing them, architecture for making cities more attractive to tourists or architecture for triggering meaningless consuming habits. architecture for attraction and prestige
2-new age thing leading to all the minimalism and all those attempts at feng shui etc just to stay sane
3-suprisingly human rights go with this list. we like to think that the common man is entitled to standard levels of comfort now, unlike ancient ages when architects worked mostly for men in power and the common man just did labor and suffered through life or the first phase of the industrial revolution where accomodation just existed to keep workermen around factories. now everybody demands comfort and design, so architects do mass housing projects and individual houses for healthy environments. public facilities are designed for comfort too, which goes with the consumerism thing also. if you are happy to be there, you spend more.
could think of more but well these arethe major ones i guess.
Himel
Tue Feb 27 2007, 06:47am
Registered Member #294 Joined: Mon Oct 16 2006, 05:10pm
: Dhaka
Philosophy of Life and Its Effects on Architecture:

If you want to build an Architecture you need money. Not poor money. A large amount of money. Those who have this large amount of money are not all educated. We know education makes a people civilized. Education removes bad natures of human being like jealousy. So the uneducated rich people of Bangladesh are competing  each other by money. They think money can give him the dignity and everything in life. So they are building large buildings which are not eco friendly but commercial that helps him to earn much money. They don’t think about future. They don’t think they are also living in this country. They are also suffering the pollution of this country.    So if they were educated and they had a sense of Architecture they would definitely though about future and climatic responsibility before build their structure. Think, a nice country where every man is educated, they don’t jealous each other, so what you will find? You will find everything around you is systematically correct and not harmful.  Suppose you have a good friend. One day he got a lottery prize ( a nice car). So if you jealous and try to destroy his car by licking the tire, you may be happy. But if you think carefully, you may be benefited by the car. He may often give u a trip on that car. That will be the much helpful think instead of being happy by licking his tire. This comparison is only possible when you can think,  and education helps you to think. So, I think the lack of education in people are the main problem for Architecture. Education of clients have a great effect on Architecture. Education helps him to decide his philosophy of life. If he is well educated he will choose a good future and try to build his structure ecological friendly.
faria hasan
Wed Feb 28 2007, 11:45am
thanku nirghim,etipuf n himel for ur suggestions n ideas.
yess money is one of the philosophy of today's life..but hypocrisy is more pronounced these days...and money is a part of hypocrisy as u need 2 survive in this world u haff 2 b hypocrite...
and designing a hypocrite building is not only to show the change in the external internal facades..like u do in hypocrisy that u say one thing u belief one thing and u act another...
but to design something that performs negatively i can give an example for that
like in third world countries mostly,the high rise appartments are built by the builders for generating more n more money...but these apartment buildings are haphazard...and hupocrite buildings(architecturally) as they dun fulfil the needs of the intimate...from their exterior they can b satisfying but internally or maintenance wise they dun show up quality..
the problem is wat another building type is like these residential flats that are hypocrite architecturally...
i m confused with the bld type...as how to represent hyporisy in some arch or built form changing the function or facdes can not do that much...
not 2 that extent wat is required in thesis!!! or a whole project....
looking forward for ur comments
thanku
faria hasan~!!!....
etipuf
Wed Feb 28 2007, 02:03pm
Registered Member #430 Joined: Sat Jan 06 2007, 09:30pm
: istanbul
that is interesting because todays architecture does reveal hypocrisy in a planning & social responsibility prespective, but designwise, contemporary architecture is taught to be "honest", in terms of material, structure, function etc. one of the most dominant themes in contemporary architecture is revealing what it is made of, how it stands and how it functions clearly, without decoration and disfunctional deceat. it is sort of like those people who look very intimate and straightforward but actually are bigger liers than anyone you know.
nirghum
Thu Mar 01 2007, 11:05pm
Registered Member #26 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2005, 05:52pm
: bits N bites
i think honesty in architecture is best kept when we do highest judgment to the nature,

you know building some thing means disturbing nature. but trying to make the building as helpful to keep the nature of the surrounding places is the most honest building. using the local, yes very local materials, build something which is accessible to most common people. these are honesty in building.

faria hasan
Sun Mar 04 2007, 07:57pm
i m thinking of buildings that are designed for one purpose for that time but later on their function shifts to the other...
like here,in Pakistan(karachi) there are many residential units that are being used as schools which are forcefully acting as school...
there comes "spaces that are negatively being used"
HYPOCRISY ....comes here again....

wat do u guys say???
1 2 

Go to: