Forums

Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
Architect Rafay
Mon Mar 12 2007, 09:25am Print
Registered Member #255 Joined: Sun Oct 01 2006, 05:58pm
: Karachi
hi ...
im doign my thesis topic on BIONICS IN ARCHITECTURE... it is the "mimication of nature ideas n structure and using it with the existing human technology to benifit human beings". i studied the characteristics of life.. and came up wiht one important factor of life and that is GROWTH and adaptation with the environment.
i did my research into Bionics which lead me further into NANOTECHNOLOGY... which is doing things at the molecule level. examples of nanotechnology are water repellent paints n glasses that have been mimiced from the nanostructure of the lotus leaf.. that does not allow water droplets to retain on the surface.
then i looked into how this BIONICS AND NANOTECHNOLOGY could be of help to the human life and society and came up wiht the idea of vertical cities....since land is becomign scares beacuse of the constant growth of human population taking every nook and corner that they can inhabbit on this earth and on the same time depleting the natural ecosystem...
THE idea of the VERTICAL CITIES caters these problems.. that are being faced by humans. these cities are more than a kilometer high structures taking into consideration all the basic ideas of a horizontal city.
iw anted to knw wat r ur ideas on this concept... and would it be feasible to live in vertical cities.....
NEO
Mon Mar 12 2007, 05:44pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
The idea of using bionics and nanotechnology in architecture is interesting. While architects are still thinking of the nuts-bolts of joinery details you have gone far to molecular details

But I couldn't relate the idea of bionics and nanotechnology with the idea of vertical city. Aren't these are two different ideas? You better pin point to one and deal with that.
Anyway my personal opinion always go against tall structures. Tall structures consumes unnecessary energy from the environment and unnecessary expense from people's pockets. High rise buildings require air conditioning. And that requires extreme consumption of electricity which is being produced from limited natural resources.
Growth of human population will never be a problem. It's a natural process. Nature will automatically serve them. But if this human population start to use unnecessary extra energy from the nature then it will become a trouble. And it's becoming. The total reserve of oil in earth is going to be finished by this century. From where will we get the energy for tall buildings then?

I think the next generation architecture shouldn't be tall structures, rather they should be environmentally sustainable.
Low rise construction also creates some job opportunity for unskilled laborers in undeveloped countries. High rise structures require extreme use of technology, which often requires exported machineries, materials, and manpower. I think which is also not feasible in the context of Pakistan.
Try reading up Charles Corria's 'The New Landscape' he explains how a low rise development can serve a highly dense urban area better than high rises.
Killersmile
Sun Apr 24 2022, 06:10am
Registered Member #18025 Joined: Sun Apr 24 2022, 05:31am
: sydney australia
awesome post i love it keep posting more! fencingtampafl.com
idasanka
Tue Apr 26 2022, 01:44pm
Registered Member #17236 Joined: Sat Jan 29 2022, 02:15pm
: davao
thanks for sharing this with us! love it!

https://deckbuilderstulsa.com

https://deckbuilderstulsa.com

Go to: