Forums

ArchSociety :: Forum :: Design Process :: Bubble of Ideas..

« Previous topic | Next topic »
help required for thesis topic on Dhaka
1 2 3 4  last
Moderator(s): Array, Array, Array, Array, Array, Array
Author Post
ammarah
Tue Aug 03 2010, 05:48am Print
Registered Member #2074 Joined: Tue Aug 03 2010, 05:37am
hi.. im student of M.Arch and want to do my thesis on DHAKA, Bangladesh.. if sum one can suggest me what should be the topic.. im interested in studying history of architecture..
thanx Edited Mon Aug 16 2010, 03:26pm
NEO
Thu Aug 05 2010, 08:39am
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
: Dhaka
Umm great!
What do you exactly mean by 'thesis on Dhaka'? Because Dhaka is a BIG issue. What do you want to focus on Dhaka? Urban design? Urban design for social change? Infrastructure development strategies? River and water body? Any particular issue of a particular neighborhood? Traffic issue? Political and policy level reformation? Environmental issues? What is your interest?
If you may come up with a focus area of your thesis I may help you to set a good topic around that.
All the best
ammarah
Fri Aug 06 2010, 09:22am
actually i'm bit confused as its very major decision and i want to do good and its only possible if i enjoy the work as well. So, want to study the architectural heritage of the city as its all new for me so it might be interesting to explore the city while roaming around. some thing like,
how architectural heritage of east pakistan was replaced when bangladesh was formed and how it affected the architecture of present.analyzing the architecture in a post-independence scenario..... as a formation of modern bangladesh, trying to forget its so called painful past.
OR what if i go about something like "Evolution of Dhaka's Architecture: an over view of Dhaka's complexed and rich history has producing so much amazing and varied architecture.
suggestion please
NEO
Fri Aug 06 2010, 08:47pm
Admin Registered Member #4 Joined: Thu Aug 04 2005, 04:54am
Well it may be a pretty interesting topic! Oh by the way, may I know which university you are studying in?
Evolution of Dhaka's architecture would be definitely a great topic to research on! If you want to start from the beginning of the modern architecture in the city then you may go through the website on the pioneer architect of Bangladesh 'Muzharul Islam'. There's an archive of his works and a website: http://www.muzharulislam.com
So he was the beginning... before independence he was somewhat (as far I know) only Bangladeshi architect working actively. In 1961 the first architecture school was established (BUET: http://www.buet.ac.bd/arch/about_us.htm) and that was the only school until 1990. BUET and almost all other architecture schools too follow mainly the same 'Bauhaus inspired orthodox modern styles'.
In practice many architects have experimented and showed varied range of implications of regional post-modern thoughts, few entirely radical approaches etc.
However the typical mainstream is a mediocre practice of replicating international modern trends in an escapist irresponsible way.

You may come down to Dhaka once to see it first . And I (/we) may help you to find out some clues, references, where to start, whom you may talk to etc.
Unknown
Wed Aug 18 2010, 08:32am
Very good topic chosen ammarah. If you specify your topic then we would be able to help by giving references. Our heritage and architecture was doomed since the developing boom started(90s to today). Otherwise you will find architecture of Post liberation war Bangladesh quite good. And now we can see a silver-line for good architecture in Bangladesh.
Himel
Sat Aug 21 2010, 11:27pm
Registered Member #294 Joined: Mon Oct 16 2006, 05:10pm
where r u from?
ammarah
Tue Aug 24 2010, 03:27pm
hi people.. i'm from university of engineering and technology, lahore.. sorry to change the direction of ma topic a bit.. but for thesis purpose i'm planning to visit dhaka.. can any one suggest me any good one bed family apartment for rent.. my husband is already in dhaka for job since last month but being a stranger he himself is not able to find out any.. please help me out
Himel
Wed Aug 25 2010, 09:58am
Registered Member #294 Joined: Mon Oct 16 2006, 05:10pm
Some of my female friends (male here) lives in a rented flat. They are student (not archi) , their home is outside the dhaka that's why they lives their for term times. It has kitchen , balcony, toilet, small dining space. For one month the rent of a room may be 5 thousand bangladeshi taka (80 US dollar) . But unfortunately your husband cannot live in that flat. You can stay one or two months their with those mates and your husband will stay in his current accommodation.

Or if you want to live with a family then I have a flat (our own flat). But you can't cook their. You shall get a lake faced large room with balcony and an attached toilet. Both you you can stay their. But that will cost much.
1 2 3 4  last

Go to: